Engine replaced

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
thebiggestjolly

Engine replaced

Post by thebiggestjolly »

Hi all,

Looking at buying a 650 Transalp and I've found one, nice spec, good price etc.

Only thing is, the bike had done 16k miles or so and the big end went. The owner took it to a garage who replaced the engine with one that had done 20k miles. They are now selling it on. It'll get MOTd before I get it, not sure about warranty. I'll check.

I'll check all the paperwork is in order, and that serial numbers etc have been transfered/updated, do all the relevant checks etc, but what do you all think? This'll be my first big bike. Should I hold out for something with a less troubled past, or should I not worry?

Cheers, as always.
Jolly
steve the grease

Re: Engine replaced

Post by steve the grease »

thebiggestjolly wrote:Hi all,

Looking at buying a 650 Transalp and I've found one, nice spec, good price etc.

Only thing is, the bike had done 16k miles or so and the big end went. The owner took it to a garage who replaced the engine with one that had done 20k miles. They are now selling it on. It'll get MOTd before I get it, not sure about warranty. I'll check.

I'll check all the paperwork is in order, and that serial numbers etc have been transfered/updated, do all the relevant checks etc, but what do you all think? This'll be my first big bike. Should I hold out for something with a less troubled past, or should I not worry?

Cheers, as always.
Jolly
You would be very lucky to find anywhere that will warranty a second hand engine.They will have bought it in, who can know it's condition? I would have thought it would have to be below book to find a buyer. Check the numbers have been transferred over. Make sure the number on the engine hasn't been tampered with.....
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Big end went...why is question id ask as they are bullet proof...maybe owner didnt put oil in ? If so what else didnt he do...unless you know them well id find another ...spring is around.the corner so lots of folks will.be selling bikes soon...dont rush in .
bowber

Post by bowber »

As Tramp said, why did the original fail? They are generally a very reliable engine so to have a big end go I'd guess at low oil level too.

I'd find another bike to be honest.

Steve
DaveCon

Post by DaveCon »

Yeh, why take on the extra risk/stress? It's not like the Transalp is a rare and exotic beast. Unless they are really giving it away and it's worth a punt as a hack or something.

Good of the sellers to be up front about everything though. They could have kept quiet and sold it on as genuine.
boatman

Post by boatman »

I would be inclined to find a more genuine machine , they are very robust and reliable .(650 )
Known problem is the splines on the output sprocket, which can damage if the chain is run too tight ,quite a job to sort out as it requires a new shaft , beyond that , decent basic machines which should not run a big end :(
big al

Post by big al »

Hi Jolly. +1 with tramp. Stay well clear of that particular bike. There's plenty of transalps on the market,just hang on a bit iI'm sure you'll find one. (thumbs)
Al
Steve T

Post by Steve T »

If its this bike:-

https://www.gumtree.com/p/honda-motorbi ... 1212016832

then the rider tells the whole story here:-

http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/transalp/8 ... lands.html

The failure was a strange one, according to the rider, given the normal strength of these engines, as mentioned above.

Just thought you'd like some background on the machine

Steve T

B)
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride
skinny

Post by skinny »

Steve- great bit of research, can I employ you?
rlkat

Post by rlkat »

Tramp wrote:Big end went...why is question id ask as they are bullet proof...maybe owner didnt put oil in ? If so what else didnt he do...unless you know them well id find another ...spring is around.the corner so lots of folks will.be selling bikes soon...dont rush in .
Sound advice. Mine is just over 40,000 miles and running better than ever. I've had 3 Trannys, been on numerous forums and NEVER read about big end failure. That's serious owner neglect.

Move on. There are plenty out there. (thumbs)

Edit: Just read the thread on XRV. I'd still look for a different one. Good luck.
I've no idea how to add a signature.

Return to “TECHNICAL”