Mousses

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Mike54

Re: Mousses

Post by Mike54 »

Well, many different types, can you be more specific as to what wheel size, what weight of bike, type of bike, load etc and what you want to do with it?
micksea

Post by micksea »

Wr450f trail riding in Spain,no luggage and two weeks in morroco with minimal luggage,maybe 15kgs maximum.I'll get back with the wheel sizes as they are not standard
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

ok if front rim 1.6 or 1.8 inches, and rear either 2.15 or 2.5 you need michelin M16 front mousse and M02 rear mousse. Nice and easy. You'll probably want something with a decent hard compound for morocco but the desert race rears are slippy due to that hard compound. You could go for a pirelli scorpion XC mid hard rear in 140/80/18 and a mich desert race front for example, or a pirelli 554 front, or a maxxis it front/ rear etc (the mousses will be a tight fit in the maxxis but work well despite the maxxis rear being a 120 section)

We're about to stop selling tyres so the above is for your info only really, I'm not trying to sell you anything.
Grahamkevinbutler

Post by Grahamkevinbutler »

If I new I would be doing 80mph all day or part of the day I wouldn't use them, to be fare they did last three hour at that speed, I use the techno deserts they are the hardest ones, made in Italy, I use continental tkc 80 with two tyre locks on each wheel on the 600, only use one tyre lock on the wk400, I've not had the chance to try the 400 yet as I've just taken the wheels to the garage to have the mousses and tyres fitted this weekend, I'll hit the trail in the next week or so to try them,
The front is 21 90/90 the rear is 18 140/80
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

techno mousses are the worst performing mousses out there in my experience.

Also with desert mousses there is no need to use a rim lock. There is no chance of the tyre spinning.
snaf

Post by snaf »

Mike54 wrote:techno mousses are the worst performing mousses out there in my experience.

Also with desert mousses there is no need to use a rim lock. There is no chance of the tyre spinning.
Depending on the tyre it's fitted to, we fit Desert Mousses into trials tyres in the South West. You do need a rim lock if you're going to be riding through deep water. Once the desert mousses get a bit older we then put them in enduro tyres for trail riding which also require rim locks.
Grahamkevinbutler

Post by Grahamkevinbutler »

Mike54 wrote:techno mousses are the worst performing mousses out there in my experience.

Mike I've never used anything else so I can't really compare, as I've used these for a time now I've had no problems with them if I do have any problems on the wk400 I'll post something up,
They are a lot cheaper than the other branded mousses so maybe you only get what you pay for, I don't expect to do many river crossing in morocco.
micksea

Post by micksea »

Anybody used a pirelli scorpion rally front?
micksea

Post by micksea »

And thanks for all the info Mike,ts good to get some first hand knowledge
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

I used to use Pirelli mousses which were a bit cheaper than Michelins. I could never change them though...so redbikejohn used to do that for me (thumbs) .
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone

Return to “TECHNICAL”