Mousses

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
diggermanbob

Re: Mousses

Post by diggermanbob »

Gavinskii wrote:Hi Bob,

I would love them, can I collect when I am up for the March Hare LDT?
They are yours Gavin (thumbs)
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

Are they out of the DRZ Bob ? if yes put some 4mm tubes in for the trip (thumbs)
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

PHILinFRANCE wrote:Are they out of the DRZ Bob ? if yes put some 4mm tubes in for the trip (thumbs)
No mate they are out of the Husky (thumbs)
Grahamkevinbutler

Post by Grahamkevinbutler »

micksea wrote:
Grahamkevinbutler wrote:
Helicoptermanr22 wrote:Not legal
So is driving with out a licence but people do,
You will find that there are a good few doing fearly long road off road tours on mousses including myself, I find they work very well on light mid range bikes,
could you elaborate on this i.e. type of mousses,tyres.how often do you re-lube them? what kind of mileage you get from them? what speed do you do on the road? what bike? thanks
I used them in my Xt, I've put mousse in my wk400 trail for my 9 day morocco trip in April,
The life of the mousses I've had in two sets of tyres now, I think if you are doing motorcross then they will heat up and and disintegrate in time, trail riding with large distances they last as long as you don't over cook them, I do tops 60 mph they last well,use two tyre rim locks so your tyre doesn't spin,

There's plenty of info on horizons unlimited, there's a guy used them for years,,,,,Tim cullis
Grahamkevinbutler

Post by Grahamkevinbutler »

I think Tim uses them on a ktm 690, he said he has used his mousses in two sets of tyres now so that equals to about 9000 miles and still going strong, his max speed on the road is no more than 60 mph and with only doing trails in morocco and some road work it sounds as though he is not over heating them, only thing I would say is don't leave the bike on it's side stand to long in the garage as you will get flat spots, I have paddock stands that I put the bike on for long periods
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

I was doing a steady 80 mph in 35 deg heat for 3 hours on a motorway in The South of France on Mousses........

IMG_0778.JPG
IMG_0778.JPG (107.03 KiB) Viewed 1875 times

Sometimes the know-it-all bloke in the pub or the internet naysayers are right!

The mousse expanded and exploded off the rim, taking the Tyre off together with the chain.
It wasn't a great day.
micksea

Post by micksea »

but it was an adventure :woohoo: definite brown trouser moment.i take it everyone is talking about michellin mousses? any other brands used? I used some techno mousses about four years ago,no problems with a weeks trail riding in spain.i"ve been wandering about mid to long term use with road riding thrown in.
halfpint

Post by halfpint »

mick ask geof, we had promlems with few in spain its the road work that kills them. on the trail they are fine keep below 50 mph on the road... dessert moosse is what you will need much harder feel like you have 30 psi in them . standard mich enduro moosse is more like 15 psi . as they get older they go soft. have a look at the tubliss system will run cooler on thr road ...
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

Important to note that you should only use Tubliss on 1.6" front rims and 2.15" rear rims. Anything wider and no guarantee of successful operation.

Lots of myths about mousses. It's not illegal to use mousses on the road. People say it is because they say "not for highway use" on the box.

Don't use modern mousses on a heavy, powerful bike with a big load, they're not designed for it, nor are they designed for sustained high speed road work. Mousses are only designed for certain tyres, others will work but if you dont know what, don't guess. Premature wear is usually the result.

It's another myth that they need lubing all the time, they don't. I've spent 2 weeks and 4000 miles riding round morocco on a 450 with them on road, sand, desert etc and no issues.
micksea

Post by micksea »

Mike54, what tyres have you run with mousses?

Return to “TECHNICAL”