Bleeding Brakes Literally

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Milo Tighfield

Bleeding Brakes Literally

Post by Milo Tighfield »

Hello

I've ordered a Haynes Manual in the quest to enable me to carry out some of the service work on my bike (BmwR1200gs on an 05 plate) The bike has servo brakes, now i'm not being very bright but I have seen bits of youtube vids were the fluid is poured via a funnel in the servo unit (I presume) so I am wondering how do you get the fluid from the reservoirs or is it a case of read the manual then take it to a technician :( I might just about manage the oil and filter :unsure:
big al

Re: Bleeding Brakes Literally

Post by big al »

Hi Milo,
No offence intended but if you can just about manage an oil and filter change, I wouldn't even bother attempting bleeding a servo system on your 05 plate Gs. You'll end up with no brakes mate and get youself in a whole lot of bother. Best leave some things to the experts. Or ask someone who has done this before to watch them and maybe next time do it with them to gain experience (thumbs)
hope this helps.
Al
Milo Tighfield

Post by Milo Tighfield »

No Offence taken. Your reply has just made me realise what I was really thinking and I need to let someone else do it who is far more competent than me , I have bled brakes before but not on a bm with a servo. I would like to eventually be able to do it, maybe next time. Thanks for the voice of reason :)
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

With due respect this is not a job for the average DIY person but best left to a fully BMW trained and equipped motorcycle mechanic.

Here is a link which you might find of interest, just to explain the complications;

http://advwisdom.hogranch.com/Wisdom/service_abs3.pdf

TTFN

Hugh.
Milo Tighfield

Post by Milo Tighfield »

Thank you, looking at that I would need a fortnight off work to try and complete the task. I will now be searching for a localish technician in the Lancashire/Greater Manchester area :unsure:
Ourdavid

Post by Ourdavid »

Try this fella a couple of mates rate him and have had big jobs done.
http://www.rgm-uk.com/index.php
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

Give Williams BMW Manchester a ring and see if they still have the 20% discount on offer even if its not they are a great place to get work done.

They may even have their new showroom open.
0161 907 0340
Milo Tighfield

Post by Milo Tighfield »

Ourdavid wrote:Try this fella a couple of mates rate him and have had big jobs done.
http://www.rgm-uk.com/index.php
Well took the advice and arranged for this fella to do some work on the bike, what a top bloke (thumbs) let me watch the whole process and gave good pointers and tips. Thanks for the info. :)
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Just for clarity, the advice here is only what it is because BMW fit servo assisted brakes, which on a motorbike just isn't necessary.

If you have any other bike and you are reading this, bleeding your brakes is something you can learn to do as a DIY job.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

-Ralph- wrote:Just for clarity, the advice here is only what it is because BMW fit servo assisted brakes, which on a motorbike just isn't necessary.

If you have any other bike and you are reading this, bleeding your brakes is something you can learn to do as a DIY job.
100% agree, bleeding normal brakes is easier than adjusting a chain (correctly).
Current bike is a Yamaha T7

Return to “TECHNICAL”