X Challenge Oil Leak

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Dave DRZ

X Challenge Oil Leak

Post by Dave DRZ »

A couple of weeks ago I was getting the XC ready for a day out. It started first time no problem. I turned it off, did some tinkering with bags and suspension and then tried to go for a ride, the bike wouldn't start... the battery was turning over but it wasn't igniting, ever time I stopped pressing the start button I could hear a gurgle that I'd never noticed before, then on about the 5th or 6th attempt at starting there was a loud bang, I feared the worst, thought something had exploded, then I saw oil all over the right hand side of the engine... I feared the worst.
XCEngine3.jpg
XCEngine3.jpg (76.94 KiB) Viewed 2147 times
Today has been the first time I've had to take a look and I don't thinks it's as bad as I'd thought... I think all that has happened is that oil has blown out of an overflow pipe (shown on the stock photo below) and spewed all over the top of the engine and all over the right hand side.
XCEngine.jpg
XCEngine.jpg (69.05 KiB) Viewed 2147 times

I've cleaned it up (sort of) and had the engine running - no horrible sounds and no signs of any other leaks, I notice that it feels like air is blown and sucked from the pipe, I guess this is because there is oil in the overflow pipe that rises and falls.

So, my question, for anyone with any tech knowledge of these bikes / engines:
[ul]
[li]Is this normal? I had an oil change about 500 miles ago, I guess the garage might have put too much oil in the engine, and this is just part of the process of getting rid of excess oil.[/li]
[li]If it isn't normal, what might have caused it, and how might I avoid it happening again?[/li]
[/ul]

Any help, especially real world experience from owners, would be very much appreciated.

Dave
Attachments
XCEngine2.jpg
XCEngine2.jpg (52.26 KiB) Viewed 2147 times
Far Off Places; a motorcycle adventure from Manchester to Manali www.faroffplaces.net
Tramp

Re: X Challenge Oil Leak

Post by Tramp »

Dutchgit ? Is your man hes big on the adv thread too aswell as on here...

Hope you sort it...
Dave DRZ

Post by Dave DRZ »

Thanks Tramp. I've sent Dutchgit a PM to see if you can join the thread discussion.

Joy of joys, when I went to the bike this morning the rear shock has collapsed as well. It has been squeaking for months, I guess it finally gave up. Looks like she's in need of some TLC. Thankfully I have a spare shock - just need to read up how to swap it :)

So, no rides for me for a few weeks as I fettle and sort her out.

Dave
Far Off Places; a motorcycle adventure from Manchester to Manali www.faroffplaces.net
herman

Post by herman »

I really do not know the engine but it looks to be a breather. Is there another into the airbox? If that has blown oil then it needs investigating methinks.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
Dutchgit

Post by Dutchgit »

Only just seen this (I don't get any sort of notification about new PM's)

If a garage has done the oil change they might have done it wrong.

Check the level: Let it run for a few minutes (2 or 3 or so)

Leave it for another minute and keep it up straight, undo the dipstick, clean it and thread it back in, take it out again and if all is well, the level is UP TO the BOTTOM END of the xxx's
Some people think the bottom of that is the MIN level.

The amount of oil needed (including filter change) is 2.3 L.

If the scavenge pump is broken, the oil from the sump isn't transferred to the oil reservoir but that pump breaking is indeed a rare occurence.

If the garage monkey only emptied the sump and changed the filter (and forgot the oil reservoir) there'll be way to much oil in there.

Let me know how you get on.

Ta, Ard
It'll end in tears I tells ya.
KTMChris

Post by KTMChris »

Definitely check the oil level Dave. As for the shock the bolt running through the swing arm can be a nightmare if its never been of before. If you have to change the shock you may as well remove the swing arm and give everything a grease. I've got a slide hammer you can use for removing the pivot bolts if needed (thumbs)
Dave DRZ

Post by Dave DRZ »

Thanks Ard and Chris

I looked at the dip stick and it was at the lower end, but I will double check - might be next week before I get some time in the garage again to do anything with it if it is too high.
And Chris, I may take you up on the offer of the hammer (I might need some advice as well). I'll drop you a line.

Cheers

Dave
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

I had a similar spillage when I was riding my X-Co home from having the bike serviced c/o official BMW ... I got about twenty kms up the road and only noticed the leak when I stopped for fuel.

Ari's your man for swingers technique too! (thumbs)

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
Dutchgit

Post by Dutchgit »

BTW, that vent hose (not overflow!) is or should be connected to the airbox, the piece of pipe on the airbox breaks off fairly easily. Maybe you're lucky and it wasn't put on right.
I'd check the airbox for oil too.
It'll end in tears I tells ya.
Dave DRZ

Post by Dave DRZ »

The vent hose wasn't connected to the air box when I took it off - and I think the air box is clear of oil. The battery box was covered though.

While I've got it apart I guess it is time to do those jobs I've never done before - shock, swing arm, air filter... guess I won't be riding anytime soon. Unless I can find space for an extra bike (thumbs)

Dave

Return to “TECHNICAL”