Used Zumo 550 Help

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
McOo

Used Zumo 550 Help

Post by McOo »

So I finally splashed out on one of those new fangled sat-nav thingies - a 2nd hand Garmin Zumo 550. All seems great, except the unit has a bunch of maps loaded into it (CN Europe 2011.32 etc), but MapSource doesn't. :huh:

Before I start scratching my head and looking at legally dubious websites, does anyone know if there's an official way of sorting this out?

Do I own the licenses to the maps that are loaded on the device or not? (The cynical part of me thinks it knows the answer to this already)

cheers muchly
Wandering Star

Re: Used Zumo 550 Help

Post by Wandering Star »

I would give Garmin a ring on 0808 238 0000. They will probably require the unit serial number and where you bought it from. If the unit has been registered to the original owner they will have their details. They will be able to tell you the legalality of the maps. Try them they are really helpful.
Norm De Plume

Post by Norm De Plume »

Like Wandering Star says, call Garmin. If the seller has just lost the disk and the licence details, Garmin will contact the previous owner and confirm that the licence can be transferred. However, if they have kept the software to use with another GPS, you're going to be a bit scuppered.
McOo

Post by McOo »

Cheers. It was advertised as coming with the maps, so there shouldn't be any scuppering involved.

I sat on Garmins on-hold support line for quite a while, nice music from the American Beauty soundtrack, but got bored and sent an email instead.

The device is already registered on my.garmin.com so I guess they just need to un-register it from the old owner and hopefully the maps will follow across.
Mul001

Post by Mul001 »

Q. I read this thread and thought erm ... what's Map Source ?:S

Can any of you Garmin experts shed any light please.

When I bought my Zumo 400, a few years back I got 2 cd's of "Map Install". I always thought this was curious but never dwelled on it or did anything about it.

I'm now thinking I'm missing out on something. I can download Europe maps etc to the unit from the tiptop of Norway all the way down to Gibraltar and everything in between. I've registered with Garmin, must be a few years ago now. Very occasionally when I hook it up to the PC I've had firmware updates etc. which is fine.

I'm suspecting Map Source is different ? In what way ? What might I be able to do that I can't now ? Or is Map source a new name for Map Install ?

I can of course phone Garmin, but I don't want to look more stupid than I already am.

Any help appreciated, cheers Mul.
Lee

Post by Lee »

mapsource is the computer-based routeplanning and map management software that'll almost certainly be on one of those CDs. It allows you to register new maps to the zumo (including those from other sources / countries if you know where to look). You can plot routes from the comfort of your armchair before uploading them to the zumo (very useful feature that I use loads).
In June this year I undertook the whole Nature Rally in one trip, in aid of Riders for Health

You can read about it at http://www.adventurebikerider.com/forum ... s-now.html

please support me at http://www.justgiving.com/leeparsons-naturerally
Mul001

Post by Mul001 »

That sounds useful. Just what I always thought my software should do. I've checked and it's true I have two CDs of Map Install ! ... bugger.
Lee

Post by Lee »

Have fun :-)

Check out www.zumoforums.com

masses of useful troubleshooting info and tips on mapping (you have to register, but it's free)
In June this year I undertook the whole Nature Rally in one trip, in aid of Riders for Health

You can read about it at http://www.adventurebikerider.com/forum ... s-now.html

please support me at http://www.justgiving.com/leeparsons-naturerally
lmg

Post by lmg »

as people have said before:

mapsource is a route mapping piece of software to install and use on the PC (sort of like autoroute or google maps). once you have created and fine tuned your routes on the pc, you can load them on to the Zumo (via a USB cable) and run the route on the bike.

a couple of things to remember about mapsource on the PC. each new version (if you buy the lifetime update of maps) installs as a seperate installation on the pc. with the file size of around 3-4GB, thats a lot of stuff on the pc not often used. The latest maps are 2012.10 and when I installed them I found I had 6 previous versions on the pc (6 x 3GB = a lot of wasted disc space) so I uninstalled them as I only ever use the latest maps.

mapsource can also have various different maps installed on it - such as North America as well as the atypical Europe NT. Easily switchable within Mapsource. I have both Europe and North America on my Zumo 550 - Europe on the internal storage and Northa America on a 4GB SD card (along with my mp3s).

When you update any Zumo prior to the Zumo 660 (ie 550/500/400) you will not automatically be able to update the maps on the device as there is not enough room. There is quite a simple way of sorting it out which is updating your PCs mapsource with all the latest maps, and then deleting the old maps on the Zumo itself and copying those parts of Europe (but not all of them) off the PCs mapsource and on to the Zumo. It takes a while, but its easy if you follow the instructions (I have a copy if anyone wants them).

as a newbie to the Zumo remember to set your settings for navigation properly - ie remember to select or deselect toll roads, ferries, u turns, motorways, etc. All settings can be found under the SPANNER symbol on the unit itself. Such settings are important if you want to get somewhere fast like travelling from the North of England to the Chunnel - if you have toll roads avoidance selected, the Zumo will take you via the Eastend of London to go South! Another thing to note - especially when travelling in Europe/Alps is that the preference for FERRIES also means TRAINS, so unless you want to put your bike on a TRAIN - ensure you select FERRIES avoidance option.

Hope thats of some help.
Cheers,

Leigh (LMG)

Mul001

Post by Mul001 »

Thanks IMG. Thanks Lee

I've got Memeory Map and all 1:25000 OS for my phone XDA which I fiddle with ok, routes / GPS etc. So I guess it's similar.

With the Map install I have, there's fixed internally GB, and on the 1Gb SD I put Europe on, or variously selected regions of depending upon where we're going, plus extra round and abouts in case we stray. I've been tight and never paid for any updates.
Last time in Spain / Portugal it was well out-of date, 2009/2010 (maps approx 2006/7).

I think it's time to update maps and subscribe to Map Source.

I intend to keep the unit. I don't see any reason to upgrade it. It's robust and has served me well. I did have a well known niggle after a firmware update, where pressing "Address" it shut down, completely and instantly without warning. I didn't find out until I was on a trip. It made future planning to the next destination tedious. next f/w update fixed it though. i've never had room for music.

Thanks for the links and info.

Return to “TECHNICAL”