Dual Sport Tyres for a Versys 650

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
peterpan241

Post by peterpan241 »

My mate has a Versys 650 and rather fancies a set of dual sport tyres, looks rather than off road ability but says they are a funny size! Anyone had any success with this machine and tyre options please?
Thanks in anticipation
Adventure before Dementia
Tonibe63

Re: Dual Sport Tyres for a Versys 650

Post by Tonibe63 »

I had a MK1 650 about 3 years ago and the problem then was getting a decent tyre for the 17" front wheel. I went with the Avon Distanzia which looked the part but in reality was cr@p in mud ...... on gravel you don't really need a special tyre anyway so I didn't feel the Distanzia was of much benefit. Although I didn't keep the bike for that long I did notice the rear Distanzia was squaring off within 1500 miles.
'Bart1' on here and the Versys forum ('Bart') has really used his for typical adventure riding (Spain/Morocco/Alps etc) so he will have more up to date information .... he is also very knowledgeable on the Versys.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

Tell hi, to stop being a ponce and stick with max road grip not looks
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

I used the Dunlop Mutant tyres on my Mk1 ...not particularly good off road but they were the only tyre I could find that didn't compromise the bikes great road manners while offering some traction on gravel
Boggs

Post by Boggs »

I ride a Mk3 Versys 650 and im due to be changing tyres soon,i was also toying with the idea of fitting some dual purpose rubber as ive been out doing some very mild green laning this year and i really enjoyed it,from my digging,i found that a lot of folk seem to be opting for the Avon Trailblazers for this.
stridey

Post by stridey »

Boggs wrote:I ride a Mk3 Versys 650 and im due to be changing tyres soon,i was also toying with the idea of fitting some dual purpose rubber as ive been out doing some very mild green laning this year and i really enjoyed it,from my digging,i found that a lot of folk seem to be opting for the Avon Trailblazers for this.
I think you mean TrailRiders?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Boggs

Post by Boggs »

lol :laugh: yes that's the ones
Bart1

Post by Bart1 »

There is loads of choice for the rear if you go for a 150/70/17 which fits fine, it is a bit taller so alters the gearing,ground clearance etc Besides the major brands there is also brands like Mitas (e07) and heidenau k60 etc.
The front being a 17 is more problematic but as far as I know the TKC80 is the knobliest.

The other option is to fit a 19" front, then the world is your oyster......
Teflon Jnr

Post by Teflon Jnr »

I'm fitting the trail riders at Christmas to my mk1 650 after reading all the reviews on the Versys forum and the independent review by earth roamers I'm convinced there a good choice
Jesus rides a Harley and the devil wears prada

🇩🇪 🇧🇪 🇬🇧 🇮🇪 🇫🇷 🇮🇲 🇱🇺
robson

Post by robson »

I have tested recently new versys and my friend has old one, very capable off-road bike.
Putting DS tyres on is very good idea. Tkc80 will be good if you're road biased.

Return to “TECHNICAL”