XT1200 Hard start

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
john-g

Re: XT1200 Hard start

Post by john-g »

Don't know for sure, but I was messing with fitting HID lights and beam alignment so had to keep turning the ignition on and off. Had the starting problem so checked the S10 Forums where the method I described was suggested and it worked for me. Did so on two or three occasions.
yoda

Post by yoda »

Its at 24,400 miles so now due service, new plugs, valve check, replace cam chain tensioner, balance throttles, oil/filter, final drive oil, re grease steering head bearings, air filter, brakefluid change. Had all the swing arm out and greased all the suspension and drive splines last winter and fork oil change, won't be changing it for quite a while yet :)
Chaos is the only camouflage that incompetence needs to operate at full capacity.

I dunno where that road goes, might as well go take a look anyway there's no where else i need to be right now.
bimota

Post by bimota »

HI GUYS,
my xt1200 was serviced a month ago its been in garge since washed before putting away.
bikes battery is trying to start bike but nothing its spining and spining but not starting.
had this once before but with throttle wide open it eventually fired but todat nothing.

tried now to many times battery struggling, wheres the fuel pump fuse on these as a few of you said pull this out.

rob
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

I know its a bit off, subject but just had a similar problem with my Triumph 1050. Its been fine but on Boxing day (and its kept outside in the cold) I pressed the go button and it cranked reasonably but kept kicking the starter clutch out--and no signs of a fire. Rather than kill the (fairly new) battery I grabbed the jump pack (which also has a similar sized battery in it) and attached it and gave it a crank--fired straight up! It was then fine for the rest of the day(a trip to Mallory Park)--I packed by little Li jump pack just in case! It seems that if the battery isn't giving enough cold cranking amps and doesn't turn the motor quite fast enough then something in the ECU says I'm not firing today. It always seems to take a couple of turns before it fires anyway--the answer is a good battery--one on order!
herman

Post by herman »

The fuse holders are above and to the right of the battery. Pop the lids off and they are labelled in the back of the lid. I have a manual on pdf and it says item number 10
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

The fact a new battery cured it suggests a bad battery to me, low voltage not charging the coils properly to get a decent spark.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

catcitrus wrote:It always seems to take a couple of turns before it fires anyway!
Quite normal on a Triumph. First one I got the dealer said to me, don't touch the throttle and just hold your finger on the button and let it crank over a few times, it WILL start. There's something about the starting procedure on the Triumph ECU where it doesn't actually squirt any fuel in and try to start until it's turned the engine over a number of times. On my Tiger Sport it's about 3 complete turns, on my Daytona it's about 5 normally, more if it's been stood a long time, but they both start every single time if the battery is good.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
john-g

Post by john-g »

When I had the problem I thought it was the battery as well. Fitted a new one and no better, but when I pulled the F.I. Fuse and cranked a couple of times it tried to start but not enough fuel. Refitted the fuse and started first time, just as though the engine had flooded with repeated switching on and off and the system priming with a squirt of fuel into the engine each time.
Sideleaner

Post by Sideleaner »

I have my S10 for 6 years now and the solution is simple. Go to a hardware store and get an ignition key without a chip. Just turn on the ignition with that key and put the original key with the chip far away so the ecu does not detect it. You will NOT hear the fuel pump activating. Push the start button several times with the trottle open to dry out the fuel. If your battery is not strong enough, use cables and the battery of your car. After that, take the original key and start without touching the throttle and it will fire up. Works every time after the winter break. :)
Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight »

Been working on a mod for my S10.
My theory is that the hard start is caused by EMC from the starter motor.
So putting in a mod for conducted emissions.
Will post the full details when finished.
But of course it will probably be years before we can prove that it works.

Return to “TECHNICAL”