Service indicator

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Whippet

Service indicator

Post by Whippet »

I suspect this question has been asked before, I have a R1200RT DOHC on a 2011 plate.
Is there any way round having the service indicator on the dash re set without going into a BMW dealer. Is any software available to do this or is anyone aware of a quick fix ? (thumbs) I would appreciate any advice on this
Thanks
ollydog

Re: Service indicator

Post by ollydog »

have a look on youtube or google search, i would imagine someone some where has posted this with the use of a bit of cable.

steve
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

I know there's software out there for BMW/Mini cars that requires a ODB cable, likewise VAG.com / VCDS software does the same for VAG cars, so I suspect somewhere out there is the nessesary software your looking for
AustinW

Post by AustinW »

Whippet wrote:I suspect this question has been asked before, I have a R1200RT DOHC on a 2011 plate.
Is there any way round having the service indicator on the dash re set without going into a BMW dealer. Is any software available to do this or is anyone aware of a quick fix ? (thumbs) I would appreciate any advice on this
Thanks
I am pretty sure a GS911 will do it on an RT (does an on a GSA). A bit pricey new, but come up secondhand from time to time (what I bought). A GS911 is an interface between the bikes diagnostic port and software you run on a windows computer (I think a smartphone version is now available). Plug it into bike and computer and you get all sorts of diagnostics and info about the bike including fault codes & resets, reset service, change displays (mph/kph psi/bar etc), real time values, throttle body synching, etc etc.

http://www.hexcode.co.za/products/gs-911
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

I seem to remember that Mikeyboy has the gs911 software
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

eBay #291874040406 £20 for someone to do a reset
Or #262649047049 currently at £200+
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

Tonibe63 wrote:I seem to remember that Mikeyboy has the gs911 software
if someone has the software then the cable is all you need, i have software from ebay for porsches that i can load and use the ob2 cable but beware of software off the net of it is really shite

steve
Whippet

Post by Whippet »

(thumbs) Thanks for your advice guys, don't think I'm going to buy the software , too expensive,might try and source someone who already has one :)
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

I suspect the software isn't the problem, due to piracy issues most vendors tend to allow anyone to freely download the software. They then put the licence in the cable, much like they do with VAG com / VCDS. So only genuine cables work, however if someone tries to use a generic ODB cable, the software works in Lite mode providing limited capabilities. Also iirc the BMW ODB car setup uses a different protocol (INPA) but I wouldn't be surprised if there was commonality between cars & bikes
paul_tim2000

Post by paul_tim2000 »

I believe the software available to non dealers only allows five vehicles to be registered to it to prevent people offering a commercial service to reset service indicators. The professional, unlimited, dealer version is £2k+ I believe.

Return to “TECHNICAL”