Lowering Links for XT660z or XT660R or CCM

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
videoman

Lowering Links for XT660z or XT660R or CCM

Post by videoman »

Hi All,

Just wondered if anyone my size 5'8" tall with 29" inside leg could let me know if they ride the above bike and if they have a lowering link fitted and by how much it lowers the bike. Tried a 2015 model for size the other day but although one tiptoe could touch the floor the other foot was several inches away.

Also considering a Yamaha XT660R which would leave me some cash to purchase a few farkles for it or a CCM GP450.

Cheers
Alan
Emf#53

Re: Lowering Links for XT660z or XT660R or CCM

Post by Emf#53 »

Hi.

I'm 5"6", 29" inside leg and had an XT660R with a lowering link on the bottom of the rear shock. I can't tell you how much it lowered the bike but I could touch the floor with both feet but not flat footed. Certainly comfortable enough.

I've got an 800GS with a low seat on it and I can only reach the floor with one foot or the other. Not both at the same time. The lowered XT was much better.

Hope that helps.
crofty

Post by crofty »

Hi Alan I am not your size as you know but I fitted my lowering links today. Its a 20 minute job I was told, well 2 hours later after I had ground an 1/8" of metal of the centre stand because it stopped the forward bolt from coming out I was done. I eagerly jumped on the bike and now I can get the balls of my feet down. And that is with a TT high seat. So that lowered the bike by 40mm. If I change the seat out from high to low that gets me another 40mm, so 80mm in total. if you felt that was enough then perhaps it might work. Metal Mule claim to lower the bike up to 200mm! with links alone but when I phoned them they were a bit vague about how it achieved that.
videoman

Post by videoman »

On Metalmules listing on evilbay it states the link reduce the seat height by 12 to 15mm and 50-200mm when you sit on the bike depending upon your weight which appears very vague to myself.

If the lowering link and seat could reduce the seat height by 80mm which is over 3" I think I would be OK with that. Can you adjust the seat height on the bike from high to low or would it require another seat if yours has a TT high seat fitted?
crofty

Post by crofty »

I am describing my situation with the TT high seat, which is 20mm higher than the standard and then the low seat is another 20mm lower than standard so giving 40mm in total. But if you were sitting on a stock Yamaha seat presumably you would only get 20mm from the low seat and 40mm from the links making 60mm in total. On XT.com there is a thread about someone fitting 140mm long links (mine were 135mm) which would give you 50mm or more just on the links alone. so you could get maybe 70mm that way.
videoman

Post by videoman »

Thanks for the info, I will have a look on xt.com.
byway billy

Post by byway billy »

I am five eight and 30 inside leg. fitted lust racing links to my tenere and lowered by 40 - 50 mm about 2 inches which just makes a nice difference. drop the front forks too to ballance out.
videoman

Post by videoman »

Thanks for the info as its just what I am after. Really fancy a XT660z if I can lower it to suit my shortass size but don't want to purchase if not possibile to lower to suit me.
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

Emf#53 wrote:Hi.

I'm 5"6", 29" inside leg and had an XT660R with a lowering link on the bottom of the rear shock. I can't tell you how much it lowered the bike but I could touch the floor with both feet but not flat footed. Certainly comfortable enough.

I've got an 800GS with a low seat on it and I can only reach the floor with one foot or the other. Not both at the same time. The lowered XT was much better.

Hope that helps.
That Xt is going strong great bike , and I have the lowering links if anyone needs them (thumbs)
V_King

Post by V_King »

I am 5'9 with 29" inside leg and did not have any problems with my xt for the four years I had it. I had it with a standard height.

I do not understand the need to put both feet fully down while stationary. As long as you can reach ground reasonably with toes/half foot you are fine. maybe the one you were testing had the pre load cranked up or you are just feather weight? If you are slim, it might be worth getting proper springs for any bike you buy to have proper sag on the bike, which will give you more reach for the legs as well.
""

Return to “TECHNICAL”