Back brake sticking. Help!

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
ScottT

Re: Back brake sticking. Help!

Post by ScottT »

Same thing happened on my F650ST, i went through everything on the caliper and no joy.
Master cylinder was sticking a repair kit sorted it out after 2 attempts i put the seal in the wrong way round the first time, the instructions are a bit vague.
steve the grease

Post by steve the grease »

If the back brake is sticking on there can only be 2 reasons, either the piston is sticking in the caliper , or there is residual pressure in the system pressing the piston onto the pads.
First test , undo the bleed nipple if the wheel now turns then the problem is residual pressure , the problem is in the master cyclinder, or very rarely a collapsed rubber hydraulic pipe.
if its still sticking then the problem is in the caliper, the only thing that retracts the piston is the square rubber seal in the caliper, it deforms as the pressure builds up and as the pressure is released it returns to its original shape , pulling the piston a few 'thou' back so as to removepressure from the pads. Very often there is corrosion on the narrow ring between the outer seal and the inner seal , this siezes the piston in place.
HAMMERHEAD

Post by HAMMERHEAD »

steve the grease wrote:If the back brake is sticking on there can only be 2 reasons, either the piston is sticking in the caliper , or there is residual pressure in the system pressing the piston onto the pads.
First test , undo the bleed nipple if the wheel now turns then the problem is residual pressure , the problem is in the master cyclinder, or very rarely a collapsed rubber hydraulic pipe.
if its still sticking then the problem is in the caliper, the only thing that retracts the piston is the square rubber seal in the caliper, it deforms as the pressure builds up and as the pressure is released it returns to its original shape , pulling the piston a few 'thou' back so as to removepressure from the pads. Very often there is corrosion on the narrow ring between the outer seal and the inner seal , this siezes the piston in place.
Nice little bit of insight there. Thnx for sharing. (thumbs)
dubber68

Post by dubber68 »

Cheers Steve that will help both now and no doubt in the future.
I work to live. I live to ride. I ride to work, Ever felt like your going in circles.

Yamaha XT1200Z, Sertao, Herald 250, Xcountry & Vanvan

[IMG]http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj4 ... POINTS.jpg[/IMG
dubber68

Post by dubber68 »

Well found some time today to work on the brakes. After changing the seals and bleeding again everything seemed fine until the test ride and then it started binding again. It turned out to be the master cylinder and after changing that everything was fine and a small ride out was enjoyed.

Thanks to all for their advice.
I work to live. I live to ride. I ride to work, Ever felt like your going in circles.

dubber68

Post by dubber68 »

This is the second rear master cylinder in 42k miles. They seem to go at 20k on this bike, not sure why.

zimtim

Post by zimtim »

Had same on my BMW F650gs, I found that the KTM 640 master cylinder was the same but a damn sight cheaper :whistle:
hotbulb

Back brake sticking. Help!

Post by hotbulb »

Glad to hear it's fixed, and I hope you enjoyed the "test drive" :-) .

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk
rodyorkabr

Post by rodyorkabr »

steve the grease wrote:If the back brake is sticking on there can only be 2 reasons, either the piston is sticking in the caliper , or there is residual pressure in the system pressing the piston onto the pads.
Steve you should post more often!..fantastic advice..thank you
rlkat

Post by rlkat »

A problem I had, when I replaced the last set of pads on my Transalp, was that the tabs on the brake pads were too tight in the slots in the caliper. The tolerances were too tight so I had to file the tabs down slightly so they could move freely. Same thing happened when I changed my brake pads on my Honda car.
I've no idea how to add a signature.

Return to “TECHNICAL”