Stealth "Caravan"

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
SteveW

Stealth "Caravan"

Post by SteveW »

A couple of years ago I was looking at some caravans at the NEC bike show.
I liked the idea, they were small basic caravans with a ramp and space for your bike.
A couple of bunk beds, a bog and a basic kitchen.
They were about 10K.....not cheap.
In my idle moments I've been looking on eBay at horse trailers. I think you can get a pretty decent horse trailer for around 2K, I reckon I could make a decent basic Stealth caravan out of one, with the capacity to carry a bike.
Has anyone done anything similar?
In the past I've kitted out a couple of vans with bunkbeds etc as Stealth campers....to lug a bike about.
What do you lot think?
image_2016-07-20-2.jpeg
image_2016-07-20-2.jpeg (44.7 KiB) Viewed 2111 times
image_2016-07-20-3.jpeg
image_2016-07-20-3.jpeg (31.43 KiB) Viewed 2111 times
markyt

Re: Stealth "Caravan"

Post by markyt »

I think its a good idea i've been thinking of the same thing but the small trailers you can sometimes pick up for a couple of hundred quid. Store your bike, includes a ramp and separate access door with a window with room for a bed and stove ive just got to persuade my missus to lose a bit of space on the drive. Im thinking the two horse twin axle trailers not the big ones.
Philiptigerrice

Post by Philiptigerrice »

I nicked my old Dads little caravan and bunked down in it on a mates farm two nights a week when I had to do an on-call at the hospital I as working at (I lived too far away).

When I moved on from that job - a farmer bought the caravan, and used the chassis to build some animal shifting thingy.

Might you get hold of a caravan - and create a second door at the back of it - to 'slide' the bike in - would that be cheaper?
Greater Manchester
R1200 GS Adv ('08)
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Horse size trailers are bloomin expensive, better off buying a cheap caravan and cutting the back end around for bike access (a mate did just that for his enduro weekends).
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

Are you back yet steve? If so I think I'm going to have to sit you down and have a serious word :laugh:
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Don't fancy cutting the back out of a caravan....sounds like you'd goose it's rigidity and have to really beef it up to support a hinged ramp.
A decent twin horse trailer is already made to carry a couple of hefty 17 hands horses, with a strong full width ramp.
It's just the internals that need sorting.....nothing structural would need doing, just basic bunkbeds which I could fabricate out of angle iron and a chemical toilet and a double burner (both of which I've already got) plus a bit of electrical work.
I've been looking at horse trailers on eBay and there's a dealer in Huddersfield 2-3K gets you a nice fresh twin axle job.
It's just an idea I'm kicking about.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Mike54 wrote:Are you back yet steve? If so I think I'm going to have to sit you down and have a serious word :laugh:
Yep I'm back......after long days in the saddle day-dreaming bullshit ideas :laugh:
Hoggyf

Post by Hoggyf »

How long will it take to get rid of the stink or horse piss though ? :sick:
What about a box trailer as a basis?
Then:
Honda MB5, Honda MBX125, 350LC, RGV250, MTX125, GasGas JTX250, CM 644 DS, BMW R1100S, Beta Rev3 250, Beta Rev4T, Honda XL700V Transalp, BMW F800 GS, Kawasaki Super Sherpa
Now:
Montesa 4RT, Triumph Tiger 800, Beta Alp, Montesa 315
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

A few years ago I was over in Florida for bike week, and there was a vendors stand for winnibagos and box trailers. But what caught my eye was a couple of trailers similar to those in the pics, where the inside was kitted out as a basic camper, but it was possible to winch the floor up around half way up the wall, taking the table, chairs, bed etc with it leaving a space below for hauling bikes
herman

Post by herman »

Steve not to piss on your dream but you cannot buy a decent large horse trailer for 2k. Buy a new Ifor 511 through the business or the bigger hunter box and convert that. After you are done with it either sell as is which is a bit of a niche market or it will sell stupid quick to the equine fraternity stripped out as it will be immaculate. ( buy through the business as a plant trailer allegedly, :whistle: )
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.

Return to “TECHNICAL”