BMW's Tyre Pressure Gauges are a PAIN IN THE ARSE!

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Philiptigerrice

BMW's Tyre Pressure Gauges are a PAIN IN THE ARSE!

Post by Philiptigerrice »

Earlier in the year - a lad fitting my tyre for me bust my front TPG, that cost me £110 to get a new one fitted and calibrated...

Then yesterday, 25 miles in to a 400 mile trip - I spotted a few PSI had dropped from my back tyre - so I pulled in at the services - and proceeded to throughly fuck my valve up - becasue I'm an idiot - well - that and the fact that the TPG valves must be made of soft cheese - or balsa wood or something.

Not only are they shite - but I now have to pay another £110 to get a new one fitted and calibrated - or it won't pass its MOT in December...

For fucks sake - talk about technology being useless :blink: :pinch:
Greater Manchester
R1200 GS Adv ('08)
minkyhead

Re: BMW's Tyre Pressure Gauges are a PAIN IN THE ARSE!

Post by minkyhead »

feck me 220 quid for two tyre valves ..id scrap em phil the mot guy wont have a clue i reacon (thumbs)
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
Philiptigerrice

Post by Philiptigerrice »

That was my thinking - but every MOT man I've spoken too - won't pass the bike, with active warning lights being displayed - and there is no way of hacking the system out of the BMW.

Its TPG's or no MOT I'm afraid :(
Greater Manchester
R1200 GS Adv ('08)
geoham

Post by geoham »

This is the reason I buy bikes with the least amount of technology on them!
The most technology I have on my bike is the ESA suspension and at least I have that sorted.

Obviously if I was buying a newer bike I'm guessing I would have to go with what's on the bike.
Yet another reason to hold on the the GSA and the few other older bikes I have.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Philiptigerrice wrote:Earlier in the year - a lad fitting my tyre for me bust my front TPG, that cost me £110 to get a new one fitted and calibrated...

Then yesterday, 25 miles in to a 400 mile trip - I spotted a few PSI had dropped from my back tyre - so I pulled in at the services - and proceeded to throughly fuck my valve up - becasue I'm an idiot - well - that and the fact that the TPG valves must be made of soft cheese - or balsa wood or something.

Not only are they shite - but I now have to pay another £110 to get a new one fitted and calibrated - or it won't pass its MOT in December...

For fucks sake - talk about technology being useless :blink: :pinch:
Progress, who needs it

I had a dramatic puncture in the car yesterday..............I knew what had happended in 10 seconds, by the noise - so I safely pulled over asap and a full minute before the my car's TPS told me

Fucking rubbish
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
StephenMac

Post by StephenMac »

I have a 2012 GSA and my rear shock started leaking oil. BMW dealer tells me that will be £860 for a new one fitted. If I had ESA a new shock it would be £1860.
Bollox to technology. Thankfully because only 12000 miles on the bike BMW are going to pay most of it.
I've been a wild rover for many's a year...............
big al

Post by big al »

Hi Phill, I take it all the Mot testers you have spoken to are qualified to test classes 1&2
If so tell them to go check the manual especially the part TPS systems for bikes and Tyres
Hope this helps (thumbs)
daytona-supersport

Post by daytona-supersport »

geoham wrote:This is the reason I buy bikes with the least amount of technology on them!
The most technology I have on my bike is the ESA suspension and at least I have that sorted.

Obviously if I was buying a newer bike I'm guessing I would have to go with what's on the bike.
Yet another reason to hold on the the GSA and the few other older bikes I have.
+1.
I hate having all the electronic junk on bikes. To be honest, I have more faith in the reliability of my old Matchless bikes than some of the modern electronic marvels that can only be serviced and maintained with the aid of dedicated diagnostic software. I can set my ignition with a fag paper and a bit of stiff wire, marked to show piston height BTDC. I certainly don't need an electronic warning of tyre pressures and ABS to assist braking. Electric start, Hmm, usually one quick kick does the job, hot or cold. No problems with flat batteries, the mag works fine. (thumbs)
geoham

Post by geoham »

StephenMac wrote:I have a 2012 GSA and my rear shock started leaking oil. BMW dealer tells me that will be £860 for a new one fitted. If I had ESA a new shock it would be £1860.
Bollox to technology. Thankfully because only 12000 miles on the bike BMW are going to pay most of it.
The rear shock went on my 2008 R1200 GSA. The price of the BMW shock was madness and my bike was well out of warranty. I was lucky enough to find out about Wilbers who do a shock suited to the BMW ESA system costing €599.00 (£469.00).
Your lucky in that BMW is helping you with the cost.
I have to say it has changed the handling on my bike for the better and I might change the front shock when I get a few pennies saved ;)
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

I've never understood why anyone would pay extra for tyre pressure monitors.I've ridden 2k miles this week and haven't checked them since leaving home.1 or 2 psi is neither here nor there and if they're more than that out I've got a puncture and I'll know about it soon enough.

Return to “TECHNICAL”