Oil filter

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
macvisual

Oil filter

Post by macvisual »

Looking to purchase an oil filter for my 2008 Suzuki V-Strom DL1000, is it best to keep to original parts or would a (cheaper) aftermarket oil filter work just as well?

Any advice appreciated.
"Progress is not possible without deviation".

Frank Zappa
Steve T

Re: Oil filter

Post by Steve T »

Did an oil & filter change on my '64 plate 1K Strom yesterday, using the same make of filters I use on all my bikes - Hi Flo. Never had any problems with these filters - they have TUV approval, so can't be that different from the OEM stuff, to my mind.

HF138 for the L4 version of the 1K Strom, check out the Hi Flo site for your bike.

Just my tuppence worth.

Steve T

B)
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride
Milo Tighfield

Post by Milo Tighfield »

I would imagine an after market one would do the job just as well, however would the saving be that great you could purchase something else with the difference. I would pay the price of an original roughly £10-£15 isnt too bad is it :)
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

To save some money search for the hiflo part number rather than bike on ebay...some real barkins when bought in bulk...ive used them too for years...some bikes use them as.oe fitment....

If the filter needs rubber seals change them too....
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

Hi-flo...used them on my last bike for 60k miles without any problems.
Richard Simpson

Post by Richard Simpson »

Some pattern filters are made by well-respected companies who also supply filters and other components to vehicle manufacturers to fit as original equipment on line. An example of this would be Federal Mogul, who make service parts including filters, windscreen wipers and spark plugs which are sold under the Champion brand, but also make bearings, pistons and other major engine components which are supplied to companies like Daimler, VWGroup and BMW. One assumes they are therefore used to working to very high standards.

There are also horrible operations in places like China that make some absolute rubbish. I've cut open new 'budget' oil filters and found the filter medium itself covered in dry glue. The filter couldn't flow enough oil to lubricate the engine properly.

For me...I use genuine Suzuki filters in my CCM and genuine KTM filters in my KTM.

If you bike is under any kind of warranty (either manufacturer or, on a used bike, dealer) then I would only fit a genuine Suzuki filter. Anything else could be held responsible for an engine failure.

When I ran a Honda dealership there were pattern filters available for Hondas sold in MCN etc for about 3/4 of the price of a new genuine Honda filter. But the cost to the retailer was far less...in other words they got a bigger mark-up on a probably inferior product.

You pay your money and you make your choice.
Richard Simpson

Post by Richard Simpson »

micksea

Post by micksea »

Used hi-flo filters for years on several bikes (thumbs)
macvisual

Post by macvisual »

Great replies thank you. I've just ordered 2x Hi-Flo oil filters from the bay for £11.20 including free delivery...

Result
"Progress is not possible without deviation".

Frank Zappa
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

macvisual wrote:Great replies thank you. I've just ordered 2x Hi-Flo oil filters from the bay for £11.20 including free delivery...

Result
Are they genuine Hi-Flo or just cheap copies from China?

No way of telling, I guess :whistle:
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like

Return to “TECHNICAL”