ktm 990 tyres again. Probs with front.

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
ktm Jules

ktm 990 tyres again. Probs with front.

Post by ktm Jules »

Hi all. I know this has been debated soooo much but i fitted some mefos to my bike last year. the rear is like new but after just 2700miles the front is starting to wear in a really strange way and making the bike run wide in corners like a worn race tyre.
Been really grippy and fantastic tyre untill now.

Any ideas of a good front to replace with?
I do probs 80% road 20% off road/green lanes.
Thanks Jules.
Mac 60

Re: ktm 990 tyres again. Probs with front.

Post by Mac 60 »

Hi, when i had my KTM990R all i ever used was pirelli scorpions. I was riding the same mix as you and i found them excellent. Some guys wouldent agree but on that bike ive no complaints at all. (thumbs)
Monster

Post by Monster »

I tried a set of MEFOs when I first got my 990 ... I nearly got rid of the bike

I only use the 990 on the road now as I bought a smaller bike for off-road
I fell in love with the 990 after putting on a set of Conti Trail Attack IIs
The only tyres on her ever since (over 20,000 miles with them on there)

People moan about the life of the Scorpions but I found them to be a good tyre for gravel and small % of off-road

Just put Heidenau K60 Scout on the green-laner ... no miles yet
If a Hammer don't fix it - you have an electrical problem
The Sarge

Post by The Sarge »

(thumbs) +1 for the Trail Attacks, mine have done 4000 miles and just flew through MOT
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Try mitas e07 dakar fronts...not the std as they wear faster....they do a matching rear too..
Mike101

Post by Mike101 »

I tried a scorpion and it gave me a wicked wobble while coming down through 47mph. This is a well known issue...but not every gets it.

Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts
Agent Orange

Post by Agent Orange »

I run Mefo super explorer rear and MT21 at the front. An excellent all round mix, if you dabble in off road too. The MT is great on Tarmac along as your smooth and don't push it to much as it will fight back. When it starts to ramp the tread just turn the tire on the rim as its non directional. I take the wheel off and swap the discs as it quicker. Respect the front in the wet too. I ride all weathers all year around and off road too so enjoy.
luckiegar

Post by luckiegar »

Agent Orange wrote:I run Mefo super explorer rear and MT21 at the front. An excellent all round mix, if you dabble in off road too. The MT is great on Tarmac along as your smooth and don't push it to much as it will fight back. When it starts to ramp the tread just turn the tire on the rim as its non directional. I take the wheel off and swap the discs as it quicker. Respect the front in the wet too. I ride all weathers all year around and off road too so enjoy.

that's what I run , tried all sorts mt21 pretty good on road but great on front of road , and when the big girl lets go in the mud you wont stop her , mt 21 keeps the front steady , best of all ive tried
Daz Brecon

Post by Daz Brecon »

I use TKC 80's do a bit of trail maybe 10% and 90% road, find them a fantastic tyre, the front looks like new after loads of mileage but the rears wear out fairly quick depending on riding style, I do get mine over and push it found the tyres fine, but I would like to put a harder wearing rear on without losing the performance I have
DaveCon

Post by DaveCon »

ktm Jules wrote:... after just 2700miles the front is starting to wear in a really strange way and making the bike run wide in corners like a worn race tyre.
Been really grippy and fantastic tyre untill now.
What's a really strange way? I presume you've checked tyre pressures ...

Return to “TECHNICAL”