Need to jump start your bike

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
-Ralph-

Re: Need to jump start your bike

Post by -Ralph- »

Peirre wrote:
Tramp wrote:ive got a set of leads with croccodile clips on each end, fits in my pocket and cheap works of any car/bike battery... :whistle:
+1
On the bike I also have a fly lead connected to the battery with a tiny 50 amp Anderson connector (smaller than of a 10 pkt of fags) on the end tucked under the seat subframe. With a pair of similar Anderson connectors in the jump leads roughly 1ft from 1 end. Allows me to jump start the bike without unloading the luggage off the back seat, and removing the seat to access the battery. Which is especially useful if I'm touring.
I have the same and it's also the way I connect a battery charger / optimate, and I have an extension lead to run into my tent which I use for a very low consumption LED strip light and overnight phone/tablet charging.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

AndyB wrote:I've been carrying a power pack (different make) when I'm away on the bike for a couple of years and used it once but there's an argument for carrying jump leads at the same time because unless you're stopping in hotels and able to charge it up that power pack is going to go flat leaving you knackered if you haven't got a pair of leads.

The one I've got was considerably more money because they were new to the market back then and though it'll start a big old diesel pick up when fully charged it won't do it if you've been busy charging your phone and tablet off it over night. They're good but you need to know their limits :)
It's chargeable on 12v, just run a lead from under your seat to your top box and leave it plugged in during day while you are riding, every night you have a fresh power pack in your tent.

"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

AndyB wrote:
johnnyboxer wrote:My 1150 GSA comes with 2 external jump start posts from the starter motor

How thoughtful and practical for BMW to design that for the bike + hazard flashers too.....ahead of their time

I just carry a small set of jump leads and if stranded wave them at passing cars

May look into these power packs as the discerning BMW GS Adventure rider can never have too much bling & as everyone knows BMW riders are minted too

:)
Have you checked whether you can get BMW branded ones from a dealer rather than buying cheap generic crap? You know that both you and the bike are worth the extra cost :)
The BMW branded one would be twice the size and weight though, and all the buttons on it would be pneumatic switches.

-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Andi_Archer wrote:
Philiptigerrice wrote:Could I power up this powerpack, in my handlebar bag, with my Optimate USB charger, linked directly to my (new) bike battery?
They are useful to have but the limiting factor of many is they only charge at 5 volts and only provide 1 to 2 amp output to devices but yes it will charge off your bike via a usb or 12 to 5 v adaptor whilst riding but only slowly given many only provide a 1/2 amp output.
As large screen tablets have become more and more common any decent 12v to 5v USB now puts out 2 amps plus. The one on my bike is 2.1 amp, just buy one that says it's suitable for iPad.

Rob 110

Post by Rob 110 »

Roy C. wrote:
Rob 110 wrote:I'm with Tramp; i made jump leads from 6mm cooker cable and crocodile clips for fek' all £s
we're hardly in the wilderness in UK/Europe/most of the world has 12volts in some form nearby

Why didn't Fireplace rider by a new battery or check stator output, instead of buying some tech-bling?
Maybe he already owned the Tech Bling and when he got the bike out after the Winter the battery was duff so he used his tech bling . I started this post as I new the product would be useful to some people. AS i posted it I wondered , how long will it be before someone sticks a load of useless crap on slagging it off. some people are so predictable. I still cant work out how you can charge your phone with a wire and crocodile clips but that,s probably just me. Did I mention it contains a torch. never seen that on jump leads.
lol Roy, have you got a bee up your arse? :whistle:

1: I didn't slag it off, I called it tech-bling. That suggests technology and shiney things in one package.
2: I offered a cheaper alternative to the feature that your thread was titled, as I knew it would be useful to some people
3: I suggested that a 12v supply of some sort was never far away to get a jumpstart off.
4: I didn't say crocodile clips/cable would charge your phone, etc, but nor did your thread title.
5: Did I mention that if you connect my 'jump leads' to a battery, then short the other ends against some tinder/dry materials you could light a fire with the spark? :laugh:

As I posted it I wondered, how long will it be before someone sticks a load of useless crap on slagging it off as not being able to power a phone. Some people are so predictable. But I think it's probably just you Roy.

I'll probably get told off for paraphrasing you without copyright permission :lol:
Mid Wales Trails offroad tour guide: Barmouth, Llangollen, Dolgellau, Rhayader, Llandovery, Monmouth, Shropshire.

PM for details or click: SweetLamb Adventure Bike Academy

https://imgur.com/ZTqhFlL
-Ralph-

Need to jump start your bike

Post by -Ralph- »

What the f**k!

Why are we having an issue over a battery booster pack vs a pair of jump leads?

Get a f**king grip people and take a look at yourselves. Go on, just read the posts back to yourselves.

This isn't worth arguing about.

viince

Post by viince »

-Ralph- wrote:What the f**k!

Get a f**king grip people and take a look at yourselves. Go on, just read the posts back to yourselves.

1137.jpg
1137.jpg (17.72 KiB) Viewed 2606 times
1177.jpg
1177.jpg (10.33 KiB) Viewed 2606 times

cheers vince
What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about
Rob 110

Post by Rob 110 »

he started it :D
Mid Wales Trails offroad tour guide: Barmouth, Llangollen, Dolgellau, Rhayader, Llandovery, Monmouth, Shropshire.

PM for details or click: SweetLamb Adventure Bike Academy

https://imgur.com/ZTqhFlL
Old Git Ray

Post by Old Git Ray »

A slight change in direction.

I have a SLIME pump for my tyres.
It comes with a set of fly leads that I have connected to my battery.
It also has a long connector lead with a plug at either end and also a cigarette type power supply connector so the pump can be powered from another vehicle if my battery is flat.

Now, if I connect the long lead to my bike at one end and the other to the cigarette lighter plug, can I plug it into someones car to trickle charge my battery till it has enough power to start itself.

I DO NOT mean to use as a jump start, only a slow charge up, say 5 minutes. (The leads are not big enough for a jump - nor is the car socket !) It will be deliberately disconnected before trying to start the bike.

Something like this:-

I ask as I already always carry this kit. (thumbs)
Roy C.

Post by Roy C. »

-Ralph- wrote:What the f**k!

Look Ralph , we haven,t even got started yet. we still haven't started saying :IF MY HONORABLE FRIEND. at the begining of slagging each other off. YET!!

Return to “TECHNICAL”