Need to jump start your bike

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Roy C.

Re: Need to jump start your bike

Post by Roy C. »

AndyB wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
Rob 110 wrote:I'm with Tramp; i made jump leads from 6mm cooker cable and crocodile clips for fek' all £s
we're hardly in the wilderness in UK/Europe/most of the world has 12volts in some form nearby

Why didn't Fireplace rider by a new battery or check stator output, instead of buying some tech-bling?
Well... It wasn't a bad price and I bought one so thanks.

Use is
1. Jump starting (although unlikely to use often)
2. Charging phones, camera, running laptop etc. when on a trip (camping, if it can avoid me stressing about finding mains plug it's great)

And frankly I prefer to be self sufficient so for 33 quid if it does what I think it does, it's a bargain.

If I had a blade with battery/charging problems I wouldn't use one as a long term solution though!
Make sure you let everyone know what the mains plug is. Not that I've any reason to think you'll end up carrying an adaptor around with you because it might not be a UK square pin plug.
The charger plug is USB so you need to have a plug with a USB socket, that,s not included in package
Roy C.

Post by Roy C. »

Rob 110 wrote:I'm with Tramp; i made jump leads from 6mm cooker cable and crocodile clips for fek' all £s
we're hardly in the wilderness in UK/Europe/most of the world has 12volts in some form nearby

Why didn't Fireplace rider by a new battery or check stator output, instead of buying some tech-bling?
Maybe he already owned the Tech Bling and when he got the bike out after the Winter the battery was duff so he used his tech bling . I started this post as I new the product would be useful to some people. AS i posted it I wondered , how long will it be before someone sticks a load of useless crap on slagging it off. some people are so predictable. I still cant work out how you can charge your phone with a wire and crocodile clips but that,s probably just me. Did I mention it contains a torch. never seen that on jump leads.
byewayrider

Post by byewayrider »

I just bump start and sod the phone im on a adventure...lol
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
Roy C.

Post by Roy C. »

byewayrider wrote:I just bump start and sod the phone im on a adventure...lol
Good comment (thumbs)
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

The battery packs seem to be the must have accessory with ADV forum crew over the pond, then again so does the kitchen sink :dry:
But on a serious note the ADAC did a recent review of these booster packs https://www.adac.de/infotestrat/adac-im ... _test.aspx

As for the availability of 12v around Europe ....... When I fried the triumph Reg rec atop Col du Madeline and couldn't start the bike, a guy in a battered car came running over waving a pair of jump leads offering to give me a start
johnnyboxer

Need to jump start your bike

Post by johnnyboxer »

My 1150 GSA comes with 2 external jump start posts from the starter motor

How thoughtful and practical for BMW to design that for the bike + hazard flashers too.....ahead of their time

I just carry a small set of jump leads and if stranded wave them at passing cars

May look into these power packs as the discerning BMW GS Adventure rider can never have too much bling & as everyone knows BMW riders are minted too

:)
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Roy C. wrote:I was out Saturday with a Guy on a Fireblade thingy who had a duff battery. In his jacket pocket he had a charger pack with jump leads that started his Firey thing 3 times while we were out. So I,ve bought one. It,s a DBPower pak. also will charge your mobile etc. Retails at 80Quid, Amazon are currently doing them at £30 plus £3 pound odd postage. about the size of a larger modern mobile phone but a bit fatter. saw it work so no it,s not all marketting crap. (thumbs)
Thanks for the heads-up!
I've just bought one off Amazon. Very handy and compact, great value.
devon john

Post by devon john »

at the Yule tide rally a frend of mine had a duff battery on his big Harley ,,, he could not start it

Jon (ratass) had one of these tiny packs the size of a mobil phone it started the bike with ease

this was early morning in December on a field ,,and a harley takes some turning over ,,

very convincing

john
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

johnnyboxer wrote:My 1150 GSA comes with 2 external jump start posts from the starter motor

How thoughtful and practical for BMW to design that for the bike + hazard flashers too.....ahead of their time

I just carry a small set of jump leads and if stranded wave them at passing cars

May look into these power packs as the discerning BMW GS Adventure rider can never have too much bling & as everyone knows BMW riders are minted too

:)
Have you checked whether you can get BMW branded ones from a dealer rather than buying cheap generic crap? You know that both you and the bike are worth the extra cost :)
The Sarge

Post by The Sarge »

I think that is great value and an invaluable bit of kit to have if you intend to ride in remote areas. A set of jump leads no matter how much they cost you are useless if there is nothing to jump off. Plus there is the constant irritation of mobiles ( always flat when you need them most) , sat navs that need charging also taken care of. I have a similar but smaller device for that (called Monkey or something?) It has been well used and earned the price tag of £70 that I paid 2 years ago without the added benefit of jump starting.

Thanks for the heads up Roy (thumbs)

Return to “TECHNICAL”