Help me please :)

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
mikey_01

Help me please :)

Post by mikey_01 »

Hey guys, needing some help, need to do an oil change on my 1999 xtz660, can anyone tell me the best wAy and how much oil to use, I have never done an oil change on a bike with oil in frame,
So any help would be good
Many thanks
Pic of bike
image_2016-02-13-3.jpg
image_2016-02-13-3.jpg (106.15 KiB) Viewed 945 times
Will

Re: Help me please :)

Post by Will »

Hi mikey not done a oil change on xt660 but they are all similar , get oil hot drain sump there will also be a drain on bottom of front downtube drain this there will be a filter in there as well , and filter on engine refill and check level on dipstick I would see what you drain out that will give you a rough idea how much to put back in then check on dipstick , most oil in frame bikes you run on tick over for few mins then stop and check level
Bsa A10
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

http://www.super-tenere.net/

Some very knowledgeable and helpful people here (thumbs)
dazcapri

Post by dazcapri »

Be very careful not to strip the threads on the sump plug it's a common mistakes to do up far too tight if you've got one use a torque wrench and get a haynes/workshop manual and have a read through
ozbird

Post by ozbird »

The manual will also give you oil capacity figures because what you take out might not be the right amount... ie it might be less. if you put too much in it can increase pressures & blow oil seals dumping hot oil on those boots.

Return to “TECHNICAL”