Insurance: DO you add in 'Commuting' to your cover?

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
steve172

Re: Insurance: DO you add in 'Commuting' to your cover?

Post by steve172 »

It's not worth the risk for an additional £103 a year.
bowber

Post by bowber »

I always had commuting on mine but now I'm self employed and my office is closer than the bikes by about 10ft. I don't bother with the legal, leathers and other add on either.

I'd just add it, next year she'll hopefully have some no claims so the premium will go down.

Steve
hotbulb

Post by hotbulb »

I'm sure that commuting ( to fixed place of business) used always to be included under S,D & P.... it's only over the last couple of years that the insurance industry has seriously chipped away at what's covered, without making it clear that they've done so. their argument is no doubt that they tailor cover to suit individual circumstances.... the cynic in me suspects it's a ruse to allow them to refuse claims under (yet another) small print exclusion. They're all crooks!
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

You should try asking about insurance for commuting to multiple work sites. As stated most will only entertain commuting to 1 fixed work site. So if you happen to work for a company who has 2 or more sites in the same town and you switch between either, be prepared for an eye watering increase in premium
tuftywhite

Post by tuftywhite »

I think I got everything just to make sure.

Social, Domestic, Pleasure, Commuting and for use for in my business. Covered then if I have to go between different sites for work.

As I technically work from home, every trip would be on business when I was going to a work site.

As I see it, it's not worth the risk.
MarkN

Post by MarkN »

If she's going to use the bike for commuting then best get it added to the insurance.

If she had an accident at say 8am on a Tuesday morning, it could be very difficult to argue it away with an insurance company.

As someone else has said, it's worth the extra £100 for the peace of mind.

I've got business cover (class 1) on mine as I don't commute to a regular place of work and doesn't add too much more.
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

Might be worth asking for business cover, i've got it on the two bikes I ride to work (just in case i have to do a journey to another site) and because it cost pennies extra.

I don't bother with the EXC which is only TPF&T as i really can't see myself riding a fully kitted rally bike (yes the modifications are declared) with no mirrors or indicators up the M1 & A45 in the rush hour ;)
Tony AKA MAD COW

KTM 1090 Adventure R

KTM 450 EXC Rally

MY BLOG
Philiptigerrice

Post by Philiptigerrice »

All sorted - she had a chat with Bennets, and they knocked £20 off!

Got Fully comp, pillion, all the extras, inc breakdown etc, and with SD&P with commuting, for £180.

Happy days really - and all above board! (thumbs)
Greater Manchester
R1200 GS Adv ('08)
Dave DRZ

Post by Dave DRZ »

Peirre wrote:You should try asking about insurance for commuting to multiple work sites. As stated most will only entertain commuting to 1 fixed work site. So if you happen to work for a company who has 2 or more sites in the same town and you switch between either, be prepared for an eye watering increase in premium
I have this issue and it is classed as "Class 1 Business use" - it covers me for travelling to meetings in buildings other than my own office. It doesn't add too much to the premium these days (40 year old, riding 20 years, 10+ year ncb, three bikes), it is different class than that needed for being a courier or delivery rider (I assume Class 2?).

To the OP - the anti social hours that your wife works (night shift as a mid wife) will hammer the premium - it means the bike will be left overnight either on the street or in a car park rather than in a locked garage.

Dave
Far Off Places; a motorcycle adventure from Manchester to Manali www.faroffplaces.net
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Peirre wrote:You should try asking about insurance for commuting to multiple work sites. As stated most will only entertain commuting to 1 fixed work site. So if you happen to work for a company who has 2 or more sites in the same town and you switch between either, be prepared for an eye watering increase in premium
You can only have one fixed place of work, so if you need to visit other offices that's business use. Shouldn't be that much more expensive, mine only adds about £20 quid a year. Shop around.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Return to “TECHNICAL”