BaseCamp - Bonkers! Help with making routes from tracks please!

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
daryl

Re: BaseCamp - Bonkers! Help with making routes from tracks please!

Post by daryl »

chrisjk wrote:Simon,
I suspect that you are trying to create a route from the track using an activity profile other than "Direct". If you use an activity profile with any kind of avoidance in it, then the routing algorithm will certainly try to take you on paved roads.

It is helpful to customise the toolbar in Basecamp and include a few extra tools like the activity profile, then you can see at a glance what it is you are actually trying to do.
If you double click the route in the left hand bit of the window you should be able to select the routing method as direct (i.e point to point)
Screenshot2016-01-2421.50.57.png
Screenshot2016-01-2421.50.57.png (114.75 KiB) Viewed 1985 times
canazei1200

Post by canazei1200 »

Try moto go loco it's a simple to use route planning app that's free
It's uses a form of Google maps it's click to plan and also has street
View and a reverse route option.

It already has some route stored on it via another ride mag.
It can be used for garmin or tom tom
Has facility to save your own routes or make them public.
I'm useless with satnav but even I got it
I did have a 30 mins tutorial from the program makers who run a
Very biker friendly hotel in Moffat Scotland.
NOT AS FAST ON A BIKE AS I THINK I AM
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

Tyre all day long, Basecamp is hard work.
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

chrisjk wrote:Simon,
I suspect that you are trying to create a route from the track using an activity profile other than "Direct". If you use an activity profile with any kind of avoidance in it, then the routing algorithm will certainly try to take you on paved roads.

It is helpful to customise the toolbar in Basecamp and include a few extra tools like the activity profile, then you can see at a glance what it is you are actually trying to do.
No, I have 'Direct' as the default setting. Maybe we have different versions but there isn't an 'activity profile' tool to select and put on the toolbar.

@ Daryl, likewise, the details on your window are entirely different to mine - no print icon, just a button, how unMac-like :whistle:

@vRSG60, Tyre doesn't work on Macs

@ canazel, thanks for this. I'll take a look when - if! - I get time. One reason I'm in a hurry now is that I wasted weeks trying to find an on-line route making system that worked for me. The advantage of BaseCamp is that I don't have to be on-line to work, an that's a big + !

Cheers everyone, as of now that project is on the shelf for a day or two while my man decides whether he wants to staying Logroño or not - now it's back to good old Wikiloc for the HUMM project and some more HISS trails.

Meanwhile I've just used Basercamp very quickly and easily to calculate a 2,000 round-ish trip all the way down to Cadiz to colelct a very precious cargo - you'll have to wait and see what that is (thumbs)

@ Tim, our return leg takes us past Gaudix on a short leg to the Sierra Nevada in seach of some snow - fancy a coffee? (thumbs)

Regs

Simon

@p
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
canazei1200

Post by canazei1200 »

Spoke with moto go loco owner/inventor this morning
If you go onto the site and plan your routes you can send them
To him he will look at them and suggest updates or corrections
Ie never put a route to a town center unless you really want to go there
Satnav planning will assume you want to go into the town only
To turn you around again we've all been there
Share your frustration with base camp and tyre is poor compared
To moto go loco even I can use it and I'm useless with computers
NOT AS FAST ON A BIKE AS I THINK I AM
DaveCon

Post by DaveCon »

A lot of this thread is way over my head :S The only suggestion I can make about the return route being a massive "round the houses" (if I understand that correctly) is that it makes a big difference what mode of transport you select on basecamp.

For A to B stuff I select Car which tends to pick A roads and motorways
If I have a bit more time I select Motorcycle which tends to avoid motorways
If I want to spend the rest of my life on the road I select windy roads (or whatever it's called) which I generally don't bother with.

I have a Garmin 390 which I don't think can use TOPO maps. I've not really had a problem other than spending hours on the damn thing and having to re-learn it every time because it's far from intuative. The You Tube help vids are useful though if you've got time, time, time!
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Thanks everyone.

As it happens the problem has sorted itself out as the guy doing the charity ride can see the trail sections on his Garmin 390, so I guess it must have appropriate maps pre-loaded!

In the meantime, canazei, I'm the software here! I know exactly where I'm sending the riders, what I needed is a way of making up the .gpx file for them to follow.

As I've mentioned earlier I don't think I'd ever bother with any route finding system, what's the point, it's meant to be an adventure after all, not a the best way to et to Sainsbury's ...

Tim, I've been down the ath of running Windows on a Mac before - not worth the hassle IMHO - and n this case it's far easier just to work around ...

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain

Return to “TECHNICAL”