Ooopppsss BMW 1200GSA stopped in the middle of the ford

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
IntruderWithin

Ooopppsss BMW 1200GSA stopped in the middle of the ford

Post by IntruderWithin »

Morning all, hope your fathers day was great! as for mine I took my son for a ride a decided to take a short cut though a ford. Have been though it once before. :whistle: this time however the water seemed to be a bit higher than before :ohmy: and by the time I reached the middle the bike cut out and so we pushed it out :blush: . Took about 20 min to start and seemed ok after a 30min ride. Any issues suspected here such as water in the engine etc... :( the bike is due a service 3 weeks time.

Thanks

Daren
At times of peace, plan for war.
Toad

Re: Ooopppsss BMW 1200GSA stopped in the middle of the ford

Post by Toad »

OK - Have you checked the colour of the oil in the sight glass?

Was the exhaust under water?
Norm De Plume

Post by Norm De Plume »

As Toad says, but I'd want to check the gearbox and FD oil as well. It's simple on an 1150, but may not be so trivial on a 1200 as BMW decided to go "Sealed for life" at one point and then recanted.

If any of the oil is showing mayonnaise effects, then change it now, in advance of the service because 2 changes will sort the water out properly. You might also find that BMW aren't as receptive to their adventure bikes actually being used as adventure bikes these days, so a pre-emptive oil change might keep them sweet as far as the warranty is concerned. As the service is due in 3 weeks, don't invest in massively expensive oil, unless you have one of the latest OHC engines.
Selous

Post by Selous »

IntruderWithin wrote:Morning all, hope your fathers day was great! as for mine I took my son for a ride a decided to take a short cut though a ford. Have been though it once before. :whistle: this time however the water seemed to be a bit higher than before :ohmy: and by the time I reached the middle the bike cut out and so we pushed it out :blush: . Took about 20 min to start and seemed ok after a 30min ride. Any issues suspected here such as water in the engine etc... :( the bike is due a service 3 weeks time.
Thanks Daren
Mate as has been said already, but I would drop the oil then use a flusher to clean it out then pop in some clean.
As I do not know where the air filter is did it get wet, or have you changed it to a K & N perm filter, if so just get it out dry her off in the sun give a spray & clean.
saves the Dealers robbing you for Air filter, & lets the engine breath a bit better.

We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go Always a little further: it may be Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow, Across that angry or that glimmering sea.

Artificers Masonic Motorcycle Association

http://www.amma-uk.com
IntruderWithin

Post by IntruderWithin »

Thanks I will check the oil tonight. The water did not seem that deep but enough to stop the engine and not allow it to start for some time... Lets say the water did not get to the seat:woohoo:
mark1150

Post by mark1150 »

When you started it did you first pump out the ingested water with the spark plugs out?
IMHO they are made to wade, the oil will be emulsified if it's got water in it.
However the air filter should be indicative of just how bad things have got, I.E. wet would indicate a good soaking, dry should be OK.
If it's wet it will be cutting down the engines breathing ability,so will need either drying or changing, also the cat can suffer long term damage if water has been introduced.
If you have a mind to change the oil do so; but I would ask what would someone do if the same happened in it's proposed environment I.E. Booniesville? I doubt if anyone would be carrying gallons of oil just in case.
The end of the road is the start of the fun

A bad day on the bike is still better than a good day at the office

DRZ 400

XR 400 R
IntruderWithin

Post by IntruderWithin »

Hi bike started no problem. Did notice a little mayo! also managed to remove air filter and it was damp + out of shape (3600 miles) I will order another air filter and wait for the service beginning of month as im travelling.

After the bike cut out and I got it to the other side I waited 15 20 min and then tried to start. It took a few clicks and I did feel the pistons come to life .

Thanks again I'm sure it will be ok as they say why have an adventure when you cant adventure..
IntruderWithin

Post by IntruderWithin »

IMG_0461.JPG
IMG_0461.JPG (82.06 KiB) Viewed 2217 times
So my son it 6 foot and you can see where the water took him to as he pushed me out. Think I was very lucky it could have been worst.
CRAIGREVO

Post by CRAIGREVO »

Were you going to fast through the water? I'm sure a GS could cope with deeper water than that. :huh:
IntruderWithin

Post by IntruderWithin »

Hi I was not going that fast at all just half way it stalled so reverted to pushing it out. To be honest I did not think it was that deep either when I saw my sons watermarks... but airfilter damp and little mayo below . Any idea the price of air filter 2010 model?

Return to “TECHNICAL”