naughty VW and does this mean anything for bikes?

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Redmurty

Re: naughty VW and does this mean anything for bikes?

Post by Redmurty »

Just had the first cold call....

Our records show that you own a VAG motor vehicle they have set aside billions of pounds blah blah :whistle:

Lots of share holder unhappy this morning, North America was a very bad market for VW and one they really wanted to expand into, bet they feel like a bunch of "Vagges" now ;)

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

Redmurty wrote:Just had the first cold call....

Our records show that you own a VAG motor vehicle they have set aside billions of pounds blah blah :whistle:

Lots of share holder unhappy this morning, North America was a very bad market for VW and one they really wanted to expand into, bet they feel like a bunch of "Vagges" now ;)

cheers Spud ;)
No doubt my wife will be getting a call at some point because she's got a diesel Audi TT on a 63 plate so probably affected.

The laughable thing is that she bought it because it gave reasonable performance and she (like me) doesn't really care about the emissions. I was winding her up last night telling her that it'll be recalled for a new ECU and will end up putting out about 120bhp and won't pull the skin off a rice pudding :laugh:
motorbike

Post by motorbike »

moto al wrote:Iv just heard , they reckon the second hand value will fall for VW cars . I bought a new car on Monday thank F**k it wasn't a VW (thumbs) (thumbs) Al
you could have picked up a vw bargain in a few weeks...still great cars....what did you buy alan?
V_King

Post by V_King »

AndyB wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34311819

Ok, so they found a way to get the ECU to reduce emissions (and power) when the cars were on test rigs and they've been caught. It's going to cost them billions but haven't bike manufacturers been doing similar for years?

I've had at least 2 bikes that had flaps in the exhaust system that opened up at just above the point in the rev range where noise and emissions testing was carried out and anyone who's put a bike on a dyno will have seen a flat spot at between 5-6k rpm that was deliberately engineered in to cheat testing.

I think this one will roll on for a while yet :whistle:
people must be naïve to think that only VW was doing this. it is a common practice throughout automotive industry to get around the emissions bull droppings any way possible. it is just that probably VW stepped on someone's foot, or it is just easier to blame the biggest one, and allow other to quietly clean up their own mess :evil:

it is very easy to determine when an emission test is being run, because the test driver/rider must follow a very strict procedure. and then you just adjust your mapping. a well known public secret :laugh:

hence finally EU IS working with car and bike manufacturers for EURO5 emissions, so that there would be both parties happy and comply to the regulations, not just politicians dropping on some reduced numbers (thumbs)
""
moto al

Post by moto al »

I see BMW are on the right track :whistle: :whistle:
image_2015-09-23-3.jpg
image_2015-09-23-3.jpg (59.79 KiB) Viewed 961 times
moto al
sidestand

Post by sidestand »

I bet HMRC won't be fecking slow about re-rating emissions & tax for company cars, then sending us all a back dated tax bill for the increases ! :angry:

I'll be forwarding mine on to VAG
Barftone

Post by Barftone »

So you will get some sort of subsidy or refund and swap it for a new petrol version...hoorah.. more new cars to come. New diesels are still high compression low quality fuel engines no matter what filter you pump it through? Better than they were but we all new they still were not good for you. Follow any buses recently? I followed a new Honda diesel up a hill the other day and it still blew out a puff of black when booted. Be interesting to see how the market goes now. The power at the top are stringin us around again. Diesels are on their way out!
sidestand

Post by sidestand »

Thinking it all through, diesel cars have to be MOT'd at 3 years old - & the car MOT has an emissions test.

That test involves an external DVLA calibrated sensor up the exhaust - nothing to do with the ECU, how did VW fool that one then ?
V_King

Post by V_King »

sidestand wrote:Thinking it all through, diesel cars have to be MOT'd at 3 years old - & the car MOT has an emissions test.

That test involves an external DVLA calibrated sensor up the exhaust - nothing to do with the ECU, how did VW fool that one then ?
those MOT tests are very basic, compared to the emissions test manufacturers must go through to get the vehicle homologated. MOT just checks if nothing has got completely wrong, eg cat still working and other emissions have not reached extreme limits etc.
""
scutty

Post by scutty »

The MOT test doesn't include NO2 test.

Return to “TECHNICAL”