New Jag speed limited!

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Nigel

New Jag speed limited!

Post by Nigel »

Reading about the latest Jag XF and it can read speed limit signs and work with gps and sat nav to make the car comply with speed limit :ohmy: how long before that is compulsory? And what happens if you go to overtake and try to go over the speed limit and the car won't let you and you are stuck on the wrong side of the road and you can't accelerate :ohmy:
GB

Re: New Jag speed limited!

Post by GB »

I think the Nissan GTR has something similar, switches the restrictors off when it knows its on a racetrack.
Finally back on a GS :D
bull

Post by bull »

I cant see it ever been made compulsory,
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

If people didn't buy them they would soon junk all this shite!
bull

Post by bull »

why would anyone buy a car with that sh*t installed in it
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

GB wrote:I think the Nissan GTR has something similar, switches the restrictors off when it knows its on a racetrack.
That only applies in Japan and only though agreement between Nissan and the government. (I think).

Frankly I'm amazed this hasn't been law for years. I mean why do they sell cars that go over say 85?

By the way I am not endorsing this. It just seems really odd that 'the nanny state' hasn't applied this to new cars.
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Brenhden wrote:
GB wrote:I think the Nissan GTR has something similar, switches the restrictors off when it knows its on a racetrack.
That only applies in Japan and only though agreement between Nissan and the government. (I think).

Frankly I'm amazed this hasn't been law for years. I mean why do they sell cars that go over say 85?

By the way I am not endorsing this. It just seems really odd that 'the nanny state' hasn't applied this to new cars.
because the car market is to big compared to the bike market for instance

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

I'm surprised 200mph motorcycles are allowed to be road registered.
If restrictions can be applied in certain licence categories then why haven't they been applied so that full licences meet certain speed / power criteria.
I'm no killjoy but whats the sense of a 200 mph machine on the road when there is nowhere in this country that you can legally exceede 70 mph. :whistle:
Lightness is everything.

Lightness with Grunt is a Scratcher!

An Adventure is not a tank transfer.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

The problem isn`t so much being limited to 70mph it is that you wouldn`t be able to go past the speed limit you are in, so for instance the other day the car in front of me and myself were stuck behind a numpty doing 20 mph (really!) in a 40, so we both overtook, we would both of exceeded the 40 to get past but then slowed back down to 40, it was a country road and you could overtake if you were swift about it but if you hit 40 and couldn`t accelerate any more . . .

I presume the feature on the Jag has an on off switch? but how long before . . .
snaf

Post by snaf »

I think you will find the system has been introduced due to customer demand, it's all to easy to lose your licence these days in cars like these, it's the reason I no longer have high performance cars. My vans with cruise control have driver settable speed control, set it to a speed limit in a city and all those wide open roads with 30/40 limits have no risks. Use it in average speed zones and you make far better progress if speeds are fluctuating.
The vast majority of journeys are not for pleasure, for many people getting somewhere with the least amount of stress is more important than getting there ten minutes quicker.

Return to “TECHNICAL”