CRF 250L First service question

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Daymo

CRF 250L First service question

Post by Daymo »

So I've just bought a 2012 reg CRF250L (private sale) with 430 miles on the clock. Now regarding the first 500 mile service, is this covered by Honda, or do I need to pay for it myself? Probably a stupid question, but I can't check with Honda just now as they are closed. What a fine little bike it is too (If your not in a major hurry)
Cheers
Mike54

Re: CRF 250L First service question

Post by Mike54 »

I think only they can answer that. I'd only do the oil/filter and check the valves (which will probably be spot on but its worth checking for peace of mind)
Bluepaul

Post by Bluepaul »

Hi, first service is at 600 miles and is not free. Unfortunately mine didn't make it to 600 before it was nicked ! :angry: :angry: :angry:
Daymo

Post by Daymo »

Thanks that's cool, I'll have a look for some suitable oil and filters.

That's a pisser about the bike going missing, I've been a bit worried about that myself. Found myself looking at locks today..
Stray Dog

Post by Stray Dog »

First service labour is sometimes covered by the dealer.
But as a private sale then I would expect you'll have to pay for the lot.

The only problem with doing it yourself is you won't get a stamp in the service book.
Which could be a problem if you need a warranty claim.

Having said that, I did my first service coz I don't see paying best part of 100quid for something I can do myself.
AND I don't trust dealers/service techs, having worked in the industry.... :angry:

Dog
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

If you want a service stamp it doesn't have to be a Honda dealer.For all that's involved in the first service just go to the cheapest shop you can find.I'd just be doing it myself though and keep the receipts for the consumables you've used to show it has been serviced if you go to sell it.
BikesAndTravels

Post by BikesAndTravels »

If it's a 2012 CRF then it's already well out of warranty...surely? Unless you're mechanically savvy as other posters have said get it serviced by a reputable workshop and keep the receipts for any future buyer.
Bikes And Travels
Daymo

Post by Daymo »

All good info thanks. It's a late 2012 bike, I was thinking of the mileage covered and if the first service is included with the bike. No problems to service it myself, not too worried about warranty as it's out now anyway. I'll be keeping a little book with service info and receipts for the next owner.

Now if the weather would improve I might actually have a chance of reaching the 500miles interval lol
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

Tough little bike, mines just topped 6000 miles. I did get the first service done at the dealer, mainly because I'm inept at valve clearances. Unsurprisingly they were fine.

I changed the oil again at 5000 & thats it so far (thumbs)
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
Daymo

Post by Daymo »

I'm enjoying mine's so far and I do get the impression it's a tough machine, I actually think I've found a bike I like at last..

Return to “TECHNICAL”