Tiger 955i problems

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Lone-Tiger

Tiger 955i problems

Post by Lone-Tiger »

Hey, Im having a really annoying intermittent running fault with my 2004 955i Tiger...

Fitted with TOR silencer (Triumph TOR ECU map loaded) and K&n filter, iridium plugs

Starts from cold no problem, idles and set off on a ride without a problem...however when you stop, for a leg stretch or for fuel thats when the problem occurs....restart and idle no problem but when you try to roll the throttle to take off it bogs down and stalls unless you give it a hand full of revs...it then runs really rough like theres a misfire for a while and eventually clears itself...the time it takes to clear varies and it doesn't bog down and stall every time you shut off or restart.

this has been on going for the last 6 months or so and before this the bike ran perfect. recently the mil light came on with fault codes P0201 and P1201 as well as P0203 indicating an injection fault however this fault clears itself and doesn't show up all the time, just intermittently. Ive plugged in Tuneecu and all injection pulses are around the same values. swapping injectors makes no difference to the fault codes.

Things I've checked:

All wiring and connectors from the ECU all the way to the injectors

tank breathers (water drain was blocked, so have cleared that)

earth points and cables

idle vacuum valve and hoses (replaced hoses as a few were slit at the ends), valve moves up and down as it should.

Things I've changed:

Fuel filter

2nd hand plug top coils ( all three had small splits in the casings )

2nd hand injectors ( on replacing these the faults still indicated a fault with injector 1 and 3 )

Any help with a point in the right direction would be most appreciated!! :^_^

Cheers

Lone-Tiger
bull

Re: Tiger 955i problems

Post by bull »

I don't know noting about them injection bikes

but let me think

did this problem start when you changed the air filter

if so, be sure to check that the air filter is turned the right way around,

anyway, its just a thought
big al

Post by big al »

Hi lone tiger,
If you've got the original exhaust and standard air filter put these on and start from scratch and see if you still have the same problem.
Al (thumbs)
XF650

Post by XF650 »

Sounds to me like a classic bad electrical connection problem, whether a dry joint or just plain dodgy termination. Doubt it's fuel related or mechanical. I've had this before myself. I think what's happening is that, when cold, no problem, connection/termination good. Stop for a few minutes and the engine heat is affecting this joint/termination and making it expand slightly thereby causing it to be iffy/borderline. I'll bet when you ride again, after a while where the parts that were heated up on standstill now have a chance to cool down in the wind flow and bike back to normal?

Obvious places to look are at the ecu/sensors/loom perhaps especially between the ecu and the injectors via sensors.

What I would do is to start up, go for a ride, come back home, turn off, remove as much as you can to gain access to wiring etc, restart with problem present and start testing/wiggling as much as you can while it's still running until suddenly you find that when you move/disturb a certain wire/connection one way, it's fine, but another way and it's not.

Just MHO, it's what I'd go for first. Hope this helps buddy, been there and done that, good luck! (thumbs)
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

My Daytona 955i has always done this, standard filter, standard zorst, Triumph dealer told me it was a "feature" of early Triumph FI systems. I start the bike, let it idle for a few seconds while I put my gloves on, and then it's fine. I give the throttle a quick blip to make sure its happy to rev, before putting into first gear and pull away. Mine does this from cold as well though.

It only throws P0203 if you try and rev through the stutter with a handful of throttle.

You may find you just need to let the bike idle and warm up a few seconds, and don't rev it until it's ready to be revved. If the engine is clearly struggling with something and you try rev it into submission it'll throw fault codes all over the place and won't run happy until you switch the ignition off and on again to reset all the sensors.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
threepot

Post by threepot »

Try the guys on..
www.tigertriple.com
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

threepot wrote:Try the guys on..
www.tigertriple.com
Or Triumphrat, or Triumphtorque
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

XF650 wrote:Sounds to me like a classic bad electrical connection problem, whether a dry joint or just plain dodgy termination. Doubt it's fuel related or mechanical. I've had this before myself. I think what's happening is that, when cold, no problem, connection/termination good. Stop for a few minutes and the engine heat is affecting this joint/termination and making it expand slightly thereby causing it to be iffy/borderline. I'll bet when you ride again, after a while where the parts that were heated up on standstill now have a chance to cool down in the wind flow and bike back to normal?

Obvious places to look are at the ecu/sensors/loom perhaps especially between the ecu and the injectors via sensors.

What I would do is to start up, go for a ride, come back home, turn off, remove as much as you can to gain access to wiring etc, restart with problem present and start testing/wiggling as much as you can while it's still running until suddenly you find that when you move/disturb a certain wire/connection one way, it's fine, but another way and it's not.

Just MHO, it's what I'd go for first. Hope this helps buddy, been there and done that, good luck! (thumbs)
This is probably a good hunch if you do indeed have a fault, one of your fault codes is injector short to ground, which suggests a short circuit somewhere, maybe a part of your loom worn and touching the frame. The other two are just injector malfunction, and those do get thrown if you try and rev a Triumph when its running rough.
bull

Post by bull »

the first thing to check when it happens, is the bike running an all cylinders, or has it dropped on one cylinder etc

if its dropped on one cylinder it might be a bad coil causing the problem, or bad connection or damaged wire going to a coil

or maybe a vacuum leak somewhere causing the problem

another thing to check is the tank tap or petcock it maybe faulty and causing restricted fuel flow, when happens again turn the tank tap to the reserve position and see does that solve the problem,
bull

Post by bull »

I had a problem something like that one time with a tiger 885 I bought for handy money, it turned out it was dropping on one cylinder because of a bad coil

it would run perfect, but sometimes when I would pull over and stop, and then restart the bike again, and it would run like sh*t,

it wouldn't happen all the time, but the problem slowly got worse as time went on

so anyway, the next time it happened, i checked to see which cylinder was dropping, then I swapped the coils around, so then when it happened again it dropped on a different cylinder, and now I knew I had a bad coil and which coil it was,

so I went and bought a second hand coil and problem was solved

and on another bike I had, I would be riding along the road and the bike would suddenly lose power, rev the throttle and the engine would feel smothered

that turned out to be a faulty petcock tap on the tank, switched it to the reserve position and never had a problem after

Return to “TECHNICAL”