Rider aids/power settings/electronic suspension settings....do you use them?

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

All that electronic malarkey is wasted on me. My GSA oil cooled was the last of the line 2013, they were fully loaded so they could shift them out the showroom door.
But I didn't touch the riding mode or suspension settings after the first day, I couldn't tell the difference.
My 690r had power settings, you've got to take the seat off and fiddle with the switch! WTF! Switch it to Full Fat and ride it you ponce!
With the exception of ABS (on road) and linked brakes which I like, all that electronic guff is just gimmicks me thinks.
Emperors New Clothes Syndrome. Hey my new bike's got E.N.C.S.
AustinW

Post by AustinW »

I use my electronic gadgets quite a lot and like them so disagree. I change the Suspension setting quite a lot on my GSA: always when I take a pillion, on the few ocassions I have been on road I put it in one or other of the off road settings, switch off the ABS and ease off, or switch off traction control. I also like cycling through the various bits of info available to help monitor my riding eg to see how a fast blast affects averahe mpg. I like the temp gauge too.

It's all here to stay as most of it comes pretty much for free now: if a bike or car had efi and ABS then all the inputs are being monitored so its at minimal cost to have the outputs. It's a bit like electric windows, air con, intermittent wipers and loads of other things that in the past were an upgrade but are now standard features.

Sent from my iPhone with a smile :)
MarkN

Re: Rider aids/power settings/electronic suspension settings....do you use them?

Post by MarkN »

I use my ESA all the time, I set the standard riding mode to rider with luggage as I'm on the heavy side and then use the sport setting will normal riding and the normal setting for a smoother ride on the motorway.
Nigel

Re: Rider aids/power settings/electronic suspension settings....do you use them?

Post by Nigel »

When I switch on the ignition of my S10 I turn the TC OFF and leave it in sport mode, total waste to me but I have no choice, did have the choice not to have ES though (thumbs)
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

I like fiddling with the computer, mpg, temperature, fuel range.
But the other stuff? I Don't think it makes any difference to me, Mr Average. If you are pushing the limits of the bike on the road then I'll concede a better, faster road rider than me may be able to tell the difference. But I'd love to do the Pepsi Challenge with the bulk of riders, let me set the riding mode.....then you go for a ride and tell me what setting it was in....no cheating :laugh:
Frog

Post by Frog »

Ain't got em, don't want em.
Zookman

Post by Zookman »

I begrudgingly accept ABS and TC, but if I'd had a choice of them on my S10 I wouldn't have had either. The 2 power settings are wasted with me, the bike is always in sport mode and I cant think of any situation where I would want touring mode, I'm quite capable of adjusting throttle control myself.
I definitely don't want electronic suspension and if it came standard on a bike it would stop me buying it. Neither do I want or need tyre pressure sensors.
sidestand

Post by sidestand »

Change the ESA settings on my GSA & K1200S all the time to suit pillion/luggage & road conditions (thumbs)

Have also had call to use the TC & ABS on several occasions :whistle:

All useful stuff IMO
nug800

Post by nug800 »

My bike is 26 yrs old so not an issue for me...my only technology is a satnav & heated grips (thumbs)
Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight »

Must admit that I ride with the TC on and usually in touring mode on my S10.

Only switch into sport mode when I meet a bunch of cars/trucks up front that I need to pass as I start to rub my boots on the road going round corners if I leave it in sport mode.

Return to “TECHNICAL”