Any way of improving 'direct auto routing' on Garmin Montana?

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
jonperry64

Any way of improving 'direct auto routing' on Garmin Montana?

Post by jonperry64 »

The routes that the Montana chooses are useless in my opinion. You can choose between 'minimize distance' (pointless if you are travelling a long way as it sends you down country lanes etc), and 'minimize time'. In my experience, and having tested it on local routes where I know the quickest way, this option creates some ridiculous routes. You can try and 'force' it to make a more sensible route by adding a via point - but I think you can only add one of these. Is there any way of improving the montana's routing or shall I just get a tomtom?
Tramp

Re: Any way of improving 'direct auto routing' on Garmin Montana?

Post by Tramp »

no and no and dont buy it :laugh: :laugh:

you have two choices ,,shortest route by any legal road from a to b..or fastest being the roads with highest legal speed possible,motorways ,dual carriage ways etc over what you deem quicker rat runs..b +c roads..

all sat navs do the same..if you want to take a certain route do a preplanned on or as on nuvis do a custom route with town names etc picked..rather than start destination and add things in between..

its all part of the adventure (thumbs)
Phil

Post by Phil »

"routing" and "garmin" are two words that should never be put together. every Garmin ive used sends you the most cock eyed way possible, and that includes my Montana.
BigBashBonanza

Post by BigBashBonanza »

Your Satnav should only really be used to supliment a map.
Failing that, check your route on Google maps before you go on your trip/ride and work out the route you want to take, remembering key junctions, roads or towns.
The Satnav will of course try to take you the way it wants too, but if you go the way you do, it will still get you to where you want to be (thumbs)
Look Large, Be Massive

Follow the Sapper
jonperry64

Post by jonperry64 »

Too late Russ - already bought one - and I regret it! Yes, it's OK if used with basecamp and you plan your own tracks, but the auto routing is crap. I wish I'd known this before I threw good money after bad by investing in Garmin's (overpriced) car mount. Phil, I know we've talked about this issue before - was just hoping someone might have come up with a work around - I fear it's a lost cause though. I've had cheap tomtoms that are far better for this purpose!
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

No GPS can know which roads will be quicker based on local knowledge. They'll all depend on the attributes given to the roads by the mapping manufaturer that you're on. So if the mapping says your average speed on the M6 between Birmingham and Manchester is 30mph based on its attributes, then it'll try and take you up the A34 etc if their average speed is say 60mph.

And mapreading on the motorway at 70mph :lol: or should that be :ohmy:

BTW you have gone to set up - routing and checked the avoidance set up aligns with what you want the Montana to do? If you want multiple options, then you might have profile "A" to avoid highways, but profile "B" doesn't. profile A for bimbling about in a non hurried way, profile B for fast as possible.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Just my views..folks.buy zumo and tom tom ridwr for roads and are.happy..trail guys get a montana for its track capabilities..ive covered well over 50k mls using a garmin in europe and uk as a driver and rarely have problems..sometimes folks want what cant be had...garmin and google routes are similar..

Return to “TECHNICAL”