Bloody petrol gauge.... miles left.

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Road2Manchester

Post by Road2Manchester »

BMW R1200GSa 13 plate.

The Miles left before you end up stranded gauge .....

I leave home with a reading of 45 miles on the clock.. the yellow warning light is on as it does at 50 miles left..... so the 12 miles to work should not be a problem.

Just heading up the hill of death valley.. (M60 Whitefield). Outside lane 70 MPH with rush hour traffic.... pop pop chuggggggg

I have to flick on the hazards, launch across 4 lanes to a 6ft wide shoulder and a 30ft high concrete wall.

Miles left 22............... actual left with Fook-all

This used to happen on my old GS at 15 miles, so I was used to that one.... but 22 ??? WTF

Can this slight mistake on the computer be zero'd or is that it.....

PLEASE do not say fill it up and keep it topped up as I am about the get my first pay packet in 3 months and filling the tank is not an option.
Once the they had me push the bike 200 yds to the slip road (the shoulder was too narrow for the breakdown truck), I was rescued...... kinda.
Lucky for me I was in the new roadworks and the very nice breakdown and rescue men took me to the services without charge, for some go juice.

any clues how to zero the computer when its actually empty ??

Cheers

Pete

breakdown.JPG
breakdown.JPG (48.28 KiB) Viewed 1876 times
cam to gif

If you ride like the wind, expect to get blown away. One lifetime is all we get use it wisely this ain;t no practise.
TRIX

Re: Bloody petrol gauge.... miles left.

Post by TRIX »

Funny story about that got called out to a guy , run out of fuel Gs thingy ,it was showing 45 miles left, any how i was telling him that the gauges on them are rarely accurate to which he replied "actually its very accurate it run out at 45 miles last week as well" didn't know whether to laugh or cry.
Elle

Post by Elle »

thank goodness you managed to get to the hard shoulder!

On my GS (F650 twin), I've discovered the estimated number of miles:
- isn't particularly accurate until I've ridden a few miles so I never believe it when I first set off
- doesn't register above 140 (on a full tank) and doesn't drop below 120 until half a tank is left
- a minor increase of throttle can make a big difference in the number of miles left
- the light comes on at 40 miles. I tend to slow down & have managed another 20 miles but wouldn't want to risk much more.
living an ordinary life in a non-ordinary way
bimota

Post by bimota »

Road2Manchester wrote:BMW R1200GSa 13 plate.

The Miles left before you end up stranded gauge .....

I leave home with a reading of 45 miles on the clock.. the yellow warning light is on as it does at 50 miles left..... so the 12 miles to work should not be a problem.

Just heading up the hill of death valley.. (M60 Whitefield). Outside lane 70 MPH with rush hour traffic.... pop pop chuggggggg

I have to flick on the hazards, launch across 4 lanes to a 6ft wide shoulder and a 30ft high concrete wall.

Miles left 22............... actual left with Fook-all

This used to happen on my old GS at 15 miles, so I was used to that one.... but 22 ??? WTF

Can this slight mistake on the computer be zero'd or is that it.....

PLEASE do not say fill it up and keep it topped up as I am about the get my first pay packet in 3 months and filling the tank is not an option.
Once the they had me push the bike 200 yds to the slip road (the shoulder was too narrow for the breakdown truck), I was rescued...... kinda.
Lucky for me I was in the new roadworks and the very nice breakdown and rescue men took me to the services without charge, for some go juice.

any clues how to zero the computer when its actually empty ??

Cheers

Pete

breakdown.JPG

My 2010 gsa,

last week had the orange light come on then the word fuel flashing with 42 miles showing
it ran out of fuel 100 yards later 42 still showing.
the time before that the orange light plus the word fuel flashing it it counted down from 42 quite well.

got caught last week in a country lane will not let it get to orange light on ever again.

rob
Road2Manchester

Post by Road2Manchester »

Thats it then..... I will never know exactly how many miles are left.... LOL
Home now, underwear changed, fuel in tank.....

Thanks chaps and chappesses
cam to gif

If you ride like the wind, expect to get blown away. One lifetime is all we get use it wisely this ain;t no practise.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Just use the trip

That's what I do on every bike

Know your range and you'll be fine then

1200 GS fuel gauges are notorious for breaking
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

Wondered the same about the Explorer, but after sweating it out on a road across Wales after the warning light came on at 50 miles. I thought I'll stop at the next garage, as there's bound to be one within 50 miles? Only just! Rolled into the outskirts of Hereford with 3 miles left in the tank. (According to the trip) Shan't plan on doing that too often.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

Now I know why a Touratech fuel bottle is fitted to nearly every GS you see on the road.
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

johnnyboxer wrote:Just use the trip

That's what I do on every bike

Know your range and you'll be fine then
This, no fuel gauge on either my GP200 or my G650GS but at least there's a light on the GS. Wing and a prayer on the GP.
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
Paul-S

Post by Paul-S »

Running on fumes is never a good option

Bad for fuel pumps

You can never guarantee that the next fuel station is

a - open
b - has the fuel you need
c - has the means to deliver that fuel - electrical pump problems

or even worse

d - is being replenished by a fuel truck swirling all the dirt in the tanks round

Return to “TECHNICAL”