Bloody petrol gauge.... miles left.

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Angel

Re: Bloody petrol gauge.... miles left.

Post by Angel »

Luddite Time.
Some of my bikes have a tap with reserve, some have a gauge that guesses what might or might not be in the tank. I like the reserve. I use the trip and aim to never use the reserve, but on the rare occasion I get it wrong, it's nice to know it's there. Having a tube that sticks up into the petrol for the main tank is 100% reliable. When the petrol reaches the tube the engine falters, turning the tap lets the rest out as a reserve. The tube is always the same height, what is left is always the same, there are no flashing lights and nothing to go wrong. Both the bikes I have with gauges actually cause panic long before it's needed. Both tell me the tank is empty when there is a good 5 litres still in there. It just becomes a game of dare to see how long your nerve will hold with the light flashing.
Seriously, like others have suggested, just use the trip.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

johnnyboxer wrote:[center]USE THE TRIP METER[/center] :P
1+ :P
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Just to add my experience--my 2006 KTM 640A has a 6 gal tank so range is about 300 miles anyway. Initially I used to set the fuel tap on "normal" and then turn it onto reserve when it spluttered. I nearly got mangled in Spain on a road without a hard shoulder (under repair with a concrete barrier as the edge)--the problem is that I have to stop to reach the fuel tap. I also noticed that the fuel light came on about 5 miles before going into splutter mode--and my speedo then goes into "miles traveled on reserve" mode. Essentially my fuel gauge is very accurate so I leave the tap permanently in the reserve position and rely on the light--but of course always use the trip as well , as my speedo is blessed with TWO independent trips. I put the accuracy down to the tank design which has a crossover pipe but is also lower on the LHS (essentially holding all the 4 litres or so of reserve in the narrow and deep LH extension--all standard of course!!--no need to slosh it about!)

CB
Loggy

Post by Loggy »

Agreed, use the trip. My AT doesn't have either a light or gauge. I do about 185 max on the tank without switching to reserve. I usually fill it up between 160 and 170mls. Never hit reserve yet and don't plan too as that's when fuel pump and crud problems happen...
Yamaha XT1200Z Super Tenere

Toyota Hilux 3.0lt

Army - Bedford MJ Radar Repair Workshop
bull

Post by bull »

I am the same, I never let it get too low

don't want any chance of dirt in the bottom of the tank getting forced into the fuel system
Road2Manchester

Post by Road2Manchester »

annoyed only due to running very very low some months ago when it was at 7 miles left, I put more fuel in straight away. The morning of this incident, the gauge read 46 as I left home, 8 miles later... 22...... 8 yards later.... still 22 but put put bong......

As I was at my new job, and a week in hand, I HAD NO FOOKIN MONEY alright, you made me say it.

:laugh: :cheer: ;) :dry: :blink: :side: :S
cam to gif

If you ride like the wind, expect to get blown away. One lifetime is all we get use it wisely this ain;t no practise.
appleby

Post by appleby »

johnnyboxer wrote:Just use the trip

That's what I do on every bike

Know your range and you'll be fine then

1200 GS fuel gauges are notorious for breaking
(thumbs)
Idiot lights are for idiots!
I just use the trip as mine has the opposite problem - I can get to zero miles left & know I still have a litre left.

Just bring back a fuel tap with reserve and be done with it?
Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

Spike941 wrote:Wondered the same about the Explorer, but after sweating it out on a road across Wales after the warning light came on at 50 miles. I thought I'll stop at the next garage, as there's bound to be one within 50 miles? Only just! Rolled into the outskirts of Hereford with 3 miles left in the tank. (According to the trip) Shan't plan on doing that too often.
Well, just done it again, but with apparently 7 miles left in the tank. Filled her up, only to discover I should have another 2 and half litres left, if Triumph's specs can be believed. Now stopped using the 'Miles left in the tank mode' and switched to the 'Trip mode''. I guess all I need to work out now is, do I refill at 180, 200 or 220? I would like to point out at this stage that although I do have all the idiot gauges, lights, whistles and bells, I do keep her fully fuelled at every opportunity when out in the 'back of beyond'. No planning on using that last 2 and half litres anytime soon. Yeah right!!!

Return to “TECHNICAL”