yamaha xt 660z tenere suspension and other stuff.

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Post Reply
felco
Posts: 1492
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:33 pm
Has thanked: 36 times
Been thanked: 15 times

yamaha xt 660z tenere suspension and other stuff.

Post by felco » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:22 pm

Hi all, just need someone with a standard tenere 08 onwards to tell me the correct original length of there suspension dog bones, not sure if mine has been lowered, think it has and I want it at standard setting, but dont no the standard length. Hole centres please, thanks in advance, ps if your sat suppin tomorrow will do:) .

Adventure Bike Rider New Issue Out Now
James1979
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:51 pm

Re: yamaha xt 660z tenere suspension help required.

Post by James1979 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:42 pm

I put mine back to standard and Im sure the replacement I used was 124mm. I'll check tomorrow.

The replacements arent the proper length - the factory ones are 123mm IIRC but you cant get them unless you buy them from Yamaha. Or i couldnt find them anyway!

felco
Posts: 1492
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:33 pm
Has thanked: 36 times
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: yamaha xt 660z tenere suspension help required.

Post by felco » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:57 pm

James1979 wrote:I put mine back to standard and Im sure the replacement I used was 124mm. I'll check tomorrow.

The replacements arent the proper length - the factory ones are 123mm IIRC but you cant get them unless you buy them from Yamaha. Or i couldnt find them anyway!
thanks James, mine measure approximately 124mm so may be it is standard and the shock is tired? All though it doesn't seem bad, think the seat may have been cut down too, this is my second tenere and this one is lower than my first, I was on tip toes on my first, can nearly touch flat footed on this one, great apart from when trail riding.
Appreciate your reply mate, thank you.

herman
Posts: 5350
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:51 pm
Has thanked: 868 times
Been thanked: 626 times

Re: yamaha xt 660z tenere suspension help required.

Post by herman » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:16 am

May find the details in here, its what I use http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/services/ ... index.aspx
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.

Slideways
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:21 am

Re: yamaha xt 660z tenere suspension help required.

Post by Slideways » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:24 am

felco wrote:
James1979 wrote:I put mine back to standard and Im sure the replacement I used was 124mm. I'll check tomorrow.

The replacements arent the proper length - the factory ones are 123mm IIRC but you cant get them unless you buy them from Yamaha. Or i couldnt find them anyway!
thanks James, mine measure approximately 124mm so may be it is standard and the shock is tired? All though it doesn't seem bad, think the seat may have been cut down too, this is my second tenere and this one is lower than my first, I was on tip toes on my first, can nearly touch flat footed on this one, great apart from when trail riding.
Appreciate your reply mate, thank you.

Maybe your legs have grown...

:woohoo:
Live life in the hedge.



Modified RD04 Africa Twin.

James1979
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:51 pm

Re: yamaha xt 660z tenere suspension help required.

Post by James1979 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:04 pm

Just checked - 124mm it is. They came from here: http://www.projection-components.co.uk

Glad you started this thread as my bike feels like it has a 'saggy arse' and feels like its shrunk. Thought it was just me! Might have to sit on a new one to see if theres any difference......

felco
Posts: 1492
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:33 pm
Has thanked: 36 times
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: yamaha xt 660z tenere suspension help required.

Post by felco » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:18 pm

Thanks again James, thats a handy yamaha site Herman, cheers, Slidy I did measure my legs,32 as before :) so I can count that out, my bike has done 20,00 so perhaps the shocks buggered, loads of sag, adjusting the chains a right pain on your own.

herman
Posts: 5350
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:51 pm
Has thanked: 868 times
Been thanked: 626 times

Re: yamaha xt 660z tenere suspension help required.

Post by herman » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:32 pm

I found Yam genuine dog bones were considerably cheaper than aftermarket ones. :)
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.

Gary117
Posts: 726
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:02 pm

Re: yamaha xt 660z tenere suspension help required.

Post by Gary117 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:02 pm

herman wrote:I found Yam genuine dog bones were considerably cheaper than aftermarket ones. :)
£19 pair for Genuine Yamaha 2008-2014 Tenere
2011 Yamaha XT660Z Tenere

James1979
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:51 pm

Re: yamaha xt 660z tenere suspension help required.

Post by James1979 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:23 pm

That is cheaper than what I paid. I ended up going to Projection as the parts guy at the local dealer was being awkward because I didnt want them fitted at dealer.....

Post Reply

Return to “TECHNICAL”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], daveuprite, redbikejohn, Richard Simpson Mark II, Sanqhar and 53 guests