Versys Sprocket

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
COULTERMAN

Versys Sprocket

Post by COULTERMAN »

Have a friend who rides a 650 Versys, went to change his front sprocket and it in't for budging, he took it to a tyre fitter and tried there air bolt shifter thing again with No joy.
A quick google shows this seems to be a common fault/problem!
Friend actually done himself physical injury trying pressure on the nut!
Throwing it out there for any info before I go and try to injure myself :huh:
Richard Simpson

Re: Versys Sprocket

Post by Richard Simpson »

Is it held on with a big single nut..rather than the sensible Honda way of a plate and two bolts?

They probably used some horrific Japanese Gorilla Snot as thread lock...early Kawasaki triples actually used Araldite on some fasteners.

The first thing to do is buy a new nut.

The old one will probably let go if you can get it really hot. Take care not to set fire to any grease deposits while you are doing this. You will probably bugger the chain, which I presume you are leaving in place so you can lock the whole shebang via the back wheel.

Another idea is a big nut splitter, if you can get one big enough and get it on there.
chico

Post by chico »

mine was unbelievably tight, as are most, 2x2 timber through the rear wheel and 4ft tommy bar snapped the timber easily....I resorted to heat and judicious use of a chisel. :woohoo: ..needs a big windy gun to crack them off,and a good 6 point socket, but it usually gets them, do a search on the Versys forum....loads of info
scoobydidler

Versys Sprocket

Post by scoobydidler »

Just done mine on the tenere. 32mm nut, is there any need??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jed54

Post by jed54 »

I had the same problem, I got round it by using a deep 1/4 drive socket, as you look at the sprocket put one end of the socket on one of the teeth on the right hand side the other end rest against the frame. The sprocket is then locked solid once you have the pressure on it with a socket and long bar. I would not heat it up because its bound to mess the oil seal up. Hope this is clear and helps.
COULTERMAN

Post by COULTERMAN »

Thanks for the above, will let u know the outcome when i go to see him over weekend, seems real odd and common to the versys! Changed my BMW in 30mins easily which made him jealous :)

Return to “TECHNICAL”