F800GS Brake Pad Suggestions

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.

F800GS Brake Pad Suggestions

Post by 03001978 »

All,

I have to replace my rear brake pads on my GS and was wondering whether there is any merit in spending more money on pads. What do you guys use? any recommendations?

Cheers
CW
daytona-supersport

Re: F800GS Brake Pad Suggestions

Post by daytona-supersport »

03001978 wrote:All,

I have to replace my rear brake pads on my GS and was wondering whether there is any merit in spending more money on pads. What do you guys use? any recommendations?

Cheers
CW
I would definitely spend some money on brake pads. These pads are a essential part of the brake and will need to be replaced when worn out. :whistle:

Post by 03001978 »

Ha Ha what I meant was is there any merit in spending a decent amount of money on aftermarket pads over the OE pads.

CW
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Personally found the oem pads suddenly wear out :huh: not as in a short life but they seem OK one minute and gone the next :huh: just got some EBC organic pads to fit and the last set seemed fine and didn`t wear the disc as some can, maybe the HH pads do?
daytona-supersport

Post by daytona-supersport »

03001978 wrote:Ha Ha what I meant was is there any merit in spending a decent amount of money on aftermarket pads over the OE pads.

CW
Ah, Now I'm with you. Well, manufacturers determine the optimum trade of between a few variables. Pad wear. Disk ware. Stopping power. Heat dissipation. Feel. Now You can fit a whole range of other pads and disks for different uses, wet, muddy, high speeds etc. However there will be a trade off. Hard pads = increased disk wear and increased braking pressure required. Softer pads = better low speed braking, lower pressure required and reduced pad life. I have known people fit harder pads and end up ripping the hell out of the disks. Hardly a cost saving there then.
Unless you have a good reason to change or knowingly want to change the operation of your brakes, stay with the standard setup. Why risk damage to the disk for no good reason? If using non OEM parts, do stay as close to the OEM part as you can. Don't be tempted by sales talk of some miracle super stopping power. There will be a trade off in some other area. If it's not broke don't fix it.
Steve T

Post by Steve T »

I tried EBC when the originals wore out on my F8GS, but the wear rate on the disk, with the EBC pads fitted, was scary. I then bought a set of Brembo pads from HPS - they were fractionally cheaper then the BMW branded Brembo pads - and they did the job (seeing as they are OEM, they should do :P )

Just my tuppence worth

Steve T

B)
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride
macvisual

Post by macvisual »

I've always fitted "EBC HH sintered pads" on all the bikes I've ever owned.

Superb
"Progress is not possible without deviation".

Frank Zappa
Lolo

Post by Lolo »

03001978 wrote:All,

Cheers
CW
I have to change my front ones, on my R1200gs, this weekend and have bought the sintered Brembo ones from motorworks as they are the closest to what was on from new (which have lasted me 45k) cost me £75 with next day delivery.

Post by 03001978 »

Thanks for the advice guys, will be replacing the pads at the weekend.

Nigel, I know exactly what you mean about the pads suddenly going off, I was amazed at how quickly they deteriorated.

Cheers
CW

Return to “TECHNICAL”