Tyre keeps deflating! Help!!!

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Jofussy

Tyre keeps deflating! Help!!!

Post by Jofussy »

Hi my front tyre on my bike keeps dropping to about 10 psi every couple of weeks. The tyre is 8 months old but only 300 miles on it so it has sat alot. I put it to 29 psi 2 weeks ago and now I can squash the tyre with my hand. is it a faulty tyre? its done it alot since new. should I pump it up again and ride it or get a new tyre. many thanks joe
Mike54

Re: Tyre keeps deflating! Help!!!

Post by Mike54 »

tubeless? tubed? if latter, change the tube. if the former, have you taken teh wheel off, pumped it right up and sprayed water/fairy liquid mix on it as you spin it etc? ie check for slow puncture? is it the correct size for the bike? can you give more info on type, size, bike etc?
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

Tubeless or tubed?

Checked the valve isn't leaking?

Checked for splits / damage to the tyre?

Any bits stuck in it that aren't meant to be like nails / bits of glass?
Jofussy

Post by Jofussy »

Its a Honda varadero 125 with 17 inch wheels. I had avon roadrunners put on last summer. I Believe they are tubeless tyres. cant see any objects in the tyre. been like this since new. would it be under warranty?
Jofussy

Post by Jofussy »

Front: (100/90 R18) Rear: (130/80 R17)
Rim Diameter: 18 Rim Diameter: 17
Tyre Size: 100 Tyre Size: 130
Aspect ratio: 90 Aspect ratio: 80
V_King

Post by V_King »

if there are no tubes, which should be standard for baby varadero, check if the tyres are actually tubeless type, as tube type leaks air. Also, it might be a simple matter of remounting the tyre with a thorough clean of the rim and tyre sealing surfaces, as sometimes they do not seal probably.

finally, check if there are any damage to the rim itself? clacks, bulges etc.
""
Jofussy

Post by Jofussy »

dnt really know if they are tubed. bike hasnt been used much. was a flat spot from 4 months of sitting. Is it worth me booking it in at the dealer to get them to check the tyre over. I would rather be safe than sorry. Its really frustrating as ive had the bike 14 months and done less than 1000 miles and I now have time to use her properly. also rim is immaculate.
bull

Post by bull »

it might be bad or loose valve, put your spit on the valve and see does it bubble from air leaking out the valve

a loose or bad valve happens all the time, so it does, its an easy fix, either tighten the valve or get a new valve, they only very cheap to buy at the bike shop

you will need a small valve tool to tighten or remove and replace it, you get the valve tool in the bike shop or auto parts shop, and they cheap to buy too,
Jofussy

Post by Jofussy »

Hi, ive booked it into my local dealer and they are going to check the valves and for any punctures. tyres under warranty so hopefully its not a puncture as i dnt want to buy a new tyre. i really could do with learning how to do all servicing and minor fixes myself. i will post to let everyone know what the diagnosis was on monday. many thanks everyone has been so helpful on here. joe
bull

Post by bull »

I doubt its the tire, probably when they but on the tire they might not of tightened the valve all the way, or maybe the valve was bad, it happens sometimes when changing tires

it happened me a few times over the years, when I changed tires, usually a bad valve caused it, I always keep a few spare valves just in case

Return to “TECHNICAL”