Breather pipe advice?

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Brenhden

Breather pipe advice?

Post by Brenhden »

Hi all,

I'm replacing my air box with one of these:
airfilter.jpg
airfilter.jpg (10.31 KiB) Viewed 1473 times
But there was a breather pipe that fitted into the box, what should I do with it?
breatherpipe.jpg
breatherpipe.jpg (50.71 KiB) Viewed 1473 times
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡§πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡±πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ͺπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬πŸ‡·πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺ
Billy Bananahead

Re: Breather pipe advice?

Post by Billy Bananahead »

Don't block it off, it vent's gases from the crankcase into the airbox to be burnt off.
You can buy small filters to attatch to the hose.
Chewy750

Post by Chewy750 »

Get some hose the right diameter, run it up high somewhere (on the basis of potential water ingress) and fit a small filter to the end.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

Route it to a small catch tank if it's ever dumped oil into the airbox and if it hasn't just extend it and run it away behind the engine so it points at the floor.

I've got to ask why you're changing it? Unless you're doing a lot of other work and know what you're doing with changes to the carb it'll always run better with the stock airbox and a different filter in it.
davsato

Post by davsato »

That's your crank case breather, agree with the long hose because they can foam up sometimes. For a filter just poke a bit of sponge in the end of the hose with a small ziptie through it
Dave
bull

Post by bull »

you can buy a filter to attach to the end of the hose, crankcase breather filters I think they call them
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Well I've got this knackered bike and I thought I would use it to learn how to do stuff to bikes, in the end I will be a custom looking thing. When I pulled the air box out I realised there were about 20 electric cables blocking the holes in the air box! The electrics are terrible on the bike so I will either do a whole new wiring loom or modify the air box to hide the wiring mess left by all the previous owners.

I've read you can replace carb jets for ones that make more power so I could do that. As the bike currently has zero value I don't mind taking chances :silly:
AndyB wrote:Route it to a small catch tank if it's ever dumped oil into the airbox and if it hasn't just extend it and run it away behind the engine so it points at the floor.

I've got to ask why you're changing it? Unless you're doing a lot of other work and know what you're doing with changes to the carb it'll always run better with the stock airbox and a different filter in it.
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Define through it please, do you mean through the pipe and sponge like threading a needle?
davsato wrote:That's your crank case breather, agree with the long hose because they can foam up sometimes. For a filter just poke a bit of sponge in the end of the hose with a small ziptie through it

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
davsato

Post by davsato »

Brenhden wrote:Define through it please, do you mean through the pipe and sponge like threading a needle?
davsato wrote:That's your crank case breather, agree with the long hose because they can foam up sometimes. For a filter just poke a bit of sponge in the end of the hose with a small ziptie through it
Yes mate, exactly. The sponge is just to stop rubbish getting into the crankcase, without being airtight, you dont want to pack it too tightly and block the air, but then it might easily blow out so poke a 2" bit down the hose with a pencil and keep it in place with a small ziptie through the lot. Or a splitpin, or a bung with a small hole in it, you get the idea.

Oh and to tune up your carbs find your bike on the dynajet website and get a jet kit
Dave
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

I thought dynajet just cleaned drains! I looked they don't have my one. The nearest one was a 1996 DR250S, I have a 2000 DR125SEY I'll check if its the same but it was Β£76. What ever happens I will be be getting a big power gain as the poor thing has been starved of breathe ever since I got it. I've already raised the top speed from 45mph to 58mph just with an air filter, oil change, sparkplug and air in the tires.
davsato wrote: Yes mate, exactly. The sponge is just to stop rubbish getting into the crankcase, without being airtight, you dont want to pack it too tightly and block the air, but then it might easily blow out so poke a 2" bit down the hose with a pencil and keep it in place with a small ziptie through the lot. Or a splitpin, or a bung with a small hole in it, you get the idea.

Oh and to tune up your carbs find your bike on the dynajet website and get a jet kit

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.

Return to β€œTECHNICAL”