Winter bike tyres!!!!!!

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
redrooster

Winter bike tyres!!!!!!

Post by redrooster »

Lots of people ride bikes through the winter, but no manufacturer make true winter bike tyres.
Just ordered a set for my van. (Winter tyres that is not bike tyres)
If you have never used them, the difference is amazing.
When you consider the grip of a tyre in the ice and snow, you would think they would make one for a bike.
Just a thought
Or do they? not off road tyres
Still searching!!!!!
byewayrider

Re: Winter bike tyres!!!!!!

Post by byewayrider »

They do and have done for a few years ever since the Europeans mad it law that all vehicles using their roads in winter had to have Designated winter tyres..

Heindeau k60 M+S..[not true knobblys more 80 roda 20 trail]

in uk its worthless as how many ride in winter? also how often do the conditions require a winter tyre?

strange how this thread comes up on all forums in winter.. :whistle: its all in the silica compound quantity.
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
redrooster

Post by redrooster »

byewayrider wrote:They do and have done for a few years ever since the Europeans mad it law that all vehicles using their roads in winter had to have Designated winter tyres..

in uk its worthless as how many ride in winter? also how often do the conditions require a winter tyre?

strange how this thread comes up on all forums in winter.. :whistle: its all in the silica compound quantity.
Perhaps it's just me but i see several people riding in the winter.
6 degrees and under and a winter tyre comes into its own.
It would be strange it coming up in the summer :P
Have a look at a winter tyre tread, basic pattern may be similar but (thumbs)
Still searching!!!!!
mr_diver

Post by mr_diver »

I have the heidenau K60 Scout M&S.

Mud and snow yes maybe, but i wont be attempting to ride on ice. thought one of the members on the strom forum did ride over a frozen stream of water on the A1 a few weeks back, slid sideways and required a change of undies but he stayed upright.

And a member on the Deauville UK forum fitted his sidecar outfit with the K60's 150 on the back (correct size) and the 120 rear tyre on the front and a car winter tyre on the sidecar.
He turned up to work at the storage firm he owned in 6 inches of snow one morning and then received calls from all his staff saying they couldn't get to work due to snow, he laughed and said he got there on his bike and not to be such big pansies.
The Rantings of A Crazed Lunatic.

byewayrider

Post by byewayrider »

redrooster wrote: Have a look at a winter tyre tread, basic pattern may be similar but (thumbs)
dont care and dont apply to me because I use mitas Army extreme tyres front and Maxxi cross it rears all year round...any case when it snows in uk the raods grind to a halt so dont matter what tyres you have as you wont be going anywhere..

I do ride the trails in winter as long as its not 2" thick ice :S
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
peterekins

Post by peterekins »

Its not about the tread as much its more about compound and flexability, so a winter tyre would work well on a bike if it was cold, as they warm quicker, but would affect the handling when it was warm and you could push on a bit. Everthing's a compromise.
Another way is just to ride with a lower tyre pressure, has a simalar affect.
In both cases, winter tyre or lower pressure you will get mega tyre wear.
bimota

Post by bimota »

redrooster wrote:
byewayrider wrote:They do and have done for a few years ever since the Europeans mad it law that all vehicles using their roads in winter had to have Designated winter tyres..

Perhaps it's just me but i see several people riding in the winter.
6 degrees and under and a winter tyre comes into its own.
It would be strange it coming up in the summer :P
Have a look at a winter tyre tread, basic pattern may be similar but (thumbs)

YES,
i ride my 1200gsa all year long don,t care how cold it is i have good gear and my tyres are fine.
BUT ride my gsa in snow and ice LOL, i have a car for when its that bad.
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

I commute on the same tyres all year round and when it snows or is icy I have a c90 for that. I dont see the point in putting 'winter tyres' on a big bike to combat snow and ice as you will get stuck / sliding around anyway without a doubt.
Jay B

Post by Jay B »

+1 on the Heidenau k60 Scouts M+S, I actually ride these tyres all year round. Top Tyres! No probs in the snow, sun, rain, mud, rocks. The only thing that they struggle at is deep thick mud but that's more down to the bike and rider.
KTM EXC 200

Yamaha XT660Z Tenere
redrooster

Post by redrooster »

Good man, love a bit o cold. Clears the bugs
byewayrider wrote:
redrooster wrote: Have a look at a winter tyre tread, basic pattern may be similar but (thumbs)
dont care and dont apply to me because I use mitas Army extreme tyres front and Maxxi cross it rears all year round...any case when it snows in uk the raods grind to a halt so dont matter what tyres you have as you wont be going anywhere..

I do ride the trails in winter as long as its not 2" thick ice :S
Still searching!!!!!

Return to “TECHNICAL”