V-Strom Rotor Magnet issues.

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Jim Lovell

V-Strom Rotor Magnet issues.

Post by Jim Lovell »

Strom riders watch out for this.

I love my bike and it's always been reliable apart from a charging problem, which turned out to be the bonding adhesive that adheres the magnets to the inside of the rotor failing. This in turn cooked the stator and rectifier :-(.
Now the new rotor alone was £320 and then the added cost of the other parts and a new battery was a cost I could really do with out.

So, just a heads up really, i don't think its common although Suzuki have said they have had to replace a few. I'm sure they won't admit how many.

May be worth having yours checked if you have a Strom just to save the hassle of being recovered. Every magnet on mine was adrift and turning freely inside the rotor.

Mine is a dl1000 07 plate with 25,000 on the clock. It's always been maintained to a high standard regardless of cost..

image_2013-10-13.jpg
image_2013-10-13.jpg (53.45 KiB) Viewed 2650 times

Sorry mods, this might not be in the correct category :blush:
Real men ride twins ;-)
Tramp

Re: V-Strom Rotor Magnet issues.

Post by Tramp »

Hi Jim
This maybe a Suzuki thing as the D. Engines have similar problems with neutral sensor coming unglued, even with screws they fall off...luckily ccm don't have same problem.
mr_diver

Post by mr_diver »

I have seen a few of these issues posted in the VSRI forum in the US.

Mainly on older K2+3 bikes, where one or more of the magnets has moved.

very very unusual for more than one to move.

there was no solution other than to remove the released magnet and deal with reduced electrical output or replace the whole unit.

Most likely thing for frying the stator/generator was parts of the magnets shorting out the coils. (even a build up of magnet dust)

Very rare issue, and those who have had issues were on high millage bikes (70kmiles upwards)

The 650 has no issues with this as far as I know of.
The Rantings of A Crazed Lunatic.

macvisual

Post by macvisual »

Just found out today (12/07/22) that after removing the left side casing that my 2007 DL1000 V-Strom (ridden 32,000 miles total) has a totally broken magnet, the other five look as if they've slightly moved to, but the one magnet has totally broken into two separate bits and shattered everywhere.

Not sure if these (6x) magnets can be bought separately....?....or maybe just need a new complete Rotor replacement...?

Cheers;
Peter
Central Scotland
"Progress is not possible without deviation".

Frank Zappa
Magnusson

Post by Magnusson »

Usually the magnets are sort of "charged" after being glued into place in the factory. Removing them weakens their magnetic field so even though they can be glued back in place (with heat resistant epoxy) they've usually lost so much of their magnetic field that output is greatly reduced. You could restore the magnetic field (Google magneto charger for an idea of how that works) but I haven't seen that tried since I was in technical school).
So I'd advise a rotor replacement.
Champagne taste on beer budget.
macvisual

Post by macvisual »

Here's a photo of my 2007 V-Strom DL1000's rotor -- such a mess with one magnet broken into two and more bits....

ImageVStrom rotor by APM Photography, on Flickr
"Progress is not possible without deviation".

Frank Zappa

Return to “TECHNICAL”