Koubalink & F650GS

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
koala

Koubalink & F650GS

Post by koala »

Has anyone had any experience with lowering a F650GS 04 twin spark? Just taken the wife on her first major trip to France on her own bike, the aforementioned 650GS and found we need to lower the bike by around an inch to give her more confidence when coming to a stop (new clutch lever ordered!). :)

The information i have gathered is that this model was difficult to lower and needed new lnk, shock, side stand, centre stand and to many other bits to make it worthwhile. Then i see the Koubalink which has 1" & 2" lowering links available. The bike came with a lowered seat (not convinced :unsure: ) and she has the Daytona ladies boots with raised sole.

Anyones experience welcome.
Bonniebird

Re: Koubalink & F650GS

Post by Bonniebird »

Hi,
Before making any changes to the suspension check that the seat is actually a low one, because if it isn't a low seat will do the job fine. Is there anyone near where you live with an F650 so you can swop seats?
I'm 5'3" and the low seat suits me fine.
I can highly recommend FTR Suspension in Bury St Edmunds, give then a call they may be able to give you some advice or give a decent quote or doing the work. They do all the work for the local BMW dealer so they are clued up on BM's. Both my husband and I had progressive rate springs fitted by them, really helpful and friendly :)
http://www.ftrsuspension.co.uk/home.htm

I also have Wunderlich adjustable clutch and brake levers which come in close enough so I can reach them easy with my little hands, just something else that may make the bike a little more easier for her.
Barnman

Post by Barnman »

There is a lowered seat on ebay (nothing to do with me). You should be able to compare yours with the pictures if nothing else.

lowered seat

Lowering the front, is simply slipping the forks through the yokes, and shorter suspension links on the back such as Koubalink lowers the rear to match. No need for a new shock. Side stand will probably mean the bike is more upright, and a little more effort needed to get it up on the center stand.

The suspension links are sometimes for sale on the f650.co.uk forum
Farmer Palmer

Post by Farmer Palmer »

Mrs P is 5' 0" so we've been there and done that and on a factory lowered bike........Did the yokes and 2" links and now she's on 1" links and Daytona Ladystars

She's got a Tony Archer lowered seat aswell and I've even removed the gromits from the seat base at the front shaving off nearly another cm...........2" Koubalinks were great but the bike bottomed out both on the skid plate aswell as the rear wheel rubbing the undertray so the 1" links are better.

2" links are meant for the Dakar but they can be used on a standard bike if you don't go 'offroad' carry luggage and aren't heavy!

Loads of info over on www.F650.co.uk and the same applies for the G650GS and Sertao

FP.
koala

Post by koala »

Looks like the seat she has is standard, compared to the eBay pic. Will give that a try first.
Thanks for your input everyone. :)

Return to “TECHNICAL”