Any idea what the Tyre Valve Size is?

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
numptyspence

Any idea what the Tyre Valve Size is?

Post by numptyspence »

I have decided its time to start doing my own tyres.

So i have either had donated or bought what i need equipment wise.

Bought the tyres (see i think ahead) :)

And then i though ill buy some of the funky 90 degree tyre valves
[ebay]181007455753[/ebay]
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181007455753
like these but then they start talking about sizes. I though they are all the same?!??!

So does anyone know what size the Varadero(XL1000) takes ?
900Fantrider

Re: Any idea what the Tyre Valve Size is?

Post by 900Fantrider »

The external thread sizes are all the same but that size is refering to the outer nut size and if it will fit into the cut out in the wheel.

This is just my veiw on it (but the man to ask is Dave/Treadtrader) but if you need angled valves to gain access, just carry one with you in the tool kit or somewhere. IMO its just another weak link on your bike and on more than one occasion I have heard of valve stems failing because of angled adaptors been fitted permanently. Both getting caught and making the stem leak because of the extra weight under high speed! Maybe bollox :unsure:

Over to Dave when he gets up ;)

edit; just seen on another thread Treadtrader is away so he`s not getting up to the forum today :dry:
Too many Cagiva Elefants, Gran Canyons and Ducatis!
Azzalin SP and various others.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

I carry one to help inflate tyre from garage forcourts..but NEVER ride with it on permanently as it`ll throw the tyre balance out and maybe rip the valve core off..

All the ebay ones fit Honda`s :cheer:
corbine

Post by corbine »

happened on my blade back in 2001 coming back from a meet at thruxton A303 between yeovil/honiton. i had a couple of the new fandangoed side angled cap covers. went into a corner around ehem *** mph , bike tried to carry on into the trees. shat the pants moment. survived it although caught out, pulled over and inspected tire. front was partially deflated.
couldnt find a puncture. drove slowly along to garage and reinflated. air came out of side valve. closer inspection at high speed it had moved to an angle that was rubbing on inside of brake disc each time wheel revolved past it. fractions, but it slowly grinded an edge to it.
trading standards richard green at newton abbot, inspected it, confirmed the issue was length of the side valve cap touching part of bike it should not have done, got them withdrawn- there were many other issued ones about tho -and still are
not sure if it helps but check the wheel circulating a full revolution put the valve cap cover at widest angle (nearest to point of contact for any part of bike) and ensure it can not touch anywhere as wheel revolves.
just a thought/heads up-corbs:-)
ps for past ten years since i always look at that bend/trees whether on bike in car and remind myself to ride slower/ dont use colourful angled cap covers (long ones)
numptyspence

Post by numptyspence »

I may or may not go for the 90 valves but i can say the hole size is 11.5 mm
special one

Post by special one »

They work brilliant on triumphs as standard, can't see why they'd be a problem if retro fitted correctly, our resident tread trader is probably best qualified to give a definitive answer.
Current bikes...

2003 KTM 950 adventure in silvery blue...

2013 KTM 450 exc-f in orange /white

2007 Scorpa SY250 trials in blue.

Return to “TECHNICAL”