Speed...

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Ariti

Speed...

Post by Ariti »

For some reason, my speedometer is non functional on my Kawasaki ZX600D!!! I really need to see it working.
moto al

Re: Speed...

Post by moto al »

hi if you have a sat nav. it has a speedo on it ,cheers moto al
moto al
mark1150

Post by mark1150 »

Ariti wrote:For some reason, my speedometer is non functional on my Kawasaki ZX600D!!! I really need to see it working.
If you are desperate to see it working connect it to the tacho drive :woohoo:
Don't know if the next bit is a bit URBAN LEGEND, or not however just in case; if the Gendarmes pull you and look at your sat nav, the machine could be used as a witness against you, as it can tell the fastest that you've been going?
I'm sure someone might confirm or deny this.
The end of the road is the start of the fun

A bad day on the bike is still better than a good day at the office

DRZ 400

XR 400 R
snaphappy

Post by snaphappy »

If it a tracker then maybe but if its just logged as fastest tell them that was during a track day or german holiday
For more info click on the Dambuster Signature banner

Warthog

Post by Warthog »

Ariti wrote:For some reason, my speedometer is non functional on my Kawasaki ZX600D!!! I really need to see it working.
Have you checked if the speedometer cable is disconnected or damaged?
barnhatter

Post by barnhatter »

My cable broke where it came out of the gearbox while I was touring a couple of years ago.
I was in the middle of Germany at the time, on a trip to the Czech republic.
Have a sat nav but the speed display is hard to read in the sun and quickly so estimated by the tacho position.
Tried to get a replacement but could not for a few days and wanted to get going.
The problem was that the tank range is only 140 miles so need to look for fuel after 80 and has to estimate the distance travelled. Not the end of the world but something that I had not thought about before leaving.
Ariti

Post by Ariti »

Thanks, a new cable was fitted but all the speedo does is to oscillate about the same place. I'm yet to see a technician but its nagging...
Warthog

Post by Warthog »

Ariti wrote:Thanks, a new cable was fitted but all the speedo does is to oscillate about the same place. I'm yet to see a technician but its nagging...
Sounds like the cable is not seated properly either at the wheel (or gearbox: I don't know for your bike), or speedo: I'd have a look and see if it all looks correctly assembled.
barnhatter

Post by barnhatter »

Does the odometer still work? if it does and the spped pointer is not working then the speedo is susspect.Disconnect the cable at the speedo and see if you cannot rotate the inner cable. Start the engine and it should rotate. If this is all okay then your speedo is most proberly shot. If the cable can be rotated by hand or does not rotate when the engine is running then look at the fitment of the cable/outer and the speed greabox, either fitted to the wheel or on the engine gearbox.
They work on a drag cup method. A metal cup rotates, driven by the cable. the pointer is connected to a magnet inside the metal cup. As the cup rotates it causes the magnet to rotate, the shaft is connected to a coil spring which restricts its movement, the effect is the faster the cup rotates the more torque on the pointer shaft and the more it moves up the scale giving a speed indication.
herman

Post by herman »

To add my bit...test the speedo by connecting a piece of the old cable and rotating it in the head....slow speed battery drill should do it.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.

Return to “TECHNICAL”