Concern about all the electronics on modern bikes

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Andy A

Re: Concern about all the electronics on modern bikes

Post by Andy A »

Very tidy that Andy saw it at the BBQ yesterday - did you modify this one yourself?

I was on the Africa Twin[/quote]

Hi Paul,

Unfortunately not, working away for 11 months of the year doesn't me give time for such pleasures, David Lambeth built this one. I'm really pleased, he's done a cracking job lots of upgrades from original to a rally spec. looking forward to it being run in..

Africa Twin looked a bit special...and clean do you do much off road on it ?
SPEN

Post by SPEN »

MOT centers here are Government run (N Ireland) ,you cannot go into a garage and MOT a bike or car ,they will fail you for a slack chain or no reflector on a number plate etc ,As Euro rules are tightened it will become harder to get older cars and bikes through,Alot of people thought Alot of bollocks when seat belts were introduced look at it now .
Alphadog43

Post by Alphadog43 »

I have a suspicion that the actual number of electronic failures are very small compared to the amount of bikes on the road. This statement is not based on any scientific fact just a gut feeling from my own experience of nearly 40 years riding with no electronic failures.

I can remember getting my first fuel injected bike in 1984 (GPZ1100)and a lot of people back then were worrying about the electronics failing. Some people even converted them back to carbs, as fitted to the preceding twin shock model. I never heard of one failing and there are still plenty on the road today.

Are the electronics really unreliable or problematic or is it that we just worry too much about what we can't fix?

My new bike is absolutley packed with electronic aids so I am probably stuffed but I take the view that you use them & move on, nothing lasts forever.
Paul-S

Post by Paul-S »

Andy A wrote:Very tidy that Andy saw it at the BBQ yesterday - did you modify this one yourself?

I was on the Africa Twin
Hi Paul,

Unfortunately not, working away for 11 months of the year doesn't me give time for such pleasures, David Lambeth built this one. I'm really pleased, he's done a cracking job lots of upgrades from original to a rally spec. looking forward to it being run in..

Africa Twin looked a bit special...and clean do you do much off road on it ?[/quote]

Only just put it back together and on the road

I don't plan on taking it off road but do plan to ride it

I have the other AT for off roading

Return to “TECHNICAL”