Concern about all the electronics on modern bikes

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Dark Knight

Concern about all the electronics on modern bikes

Post by Dark Knight »

Always change the battery on the bike at the five year point, or before, if it is acting up.
There is just too much expensive electronics on modern bikes to take the risk that a dodgy battery could upset the regulator which might over volt the system or start generating voltage spikes with expensive results.
Starting to become concerned about all the electronics on the new bikes as I was talking to a R1150GS rider the other week who said that a new ABS Modulator cost him £1000.
It would be the embedded electronics that failed, probably some electrolytic capacitor on one of the PC boards, there could be a business opportunity here for re conditioned ABS Modulators.
Maybe we should all change to older bikes.
Andy A

Re: Concern about all the electronics on modern bikes

Post by Andy A »

No such problems on my 1986 600 tenere :)
IMG_0303.JPG
IMG_0303.JPG (84.79 KiB) Viewed 1847 times
SPEN

Post by SPEN »

You can run the 1150 with the ABS disconnected with no issues ,
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Dark Knight wrote: Starting to become concerned about all the electronics on the new bikes as I was talking to a R1150GS rider the other week who said that a new ABS Modulator cost him £1000.
It would be the embedded electronics that failed, probably some electrolytic capacitor on one of the PC boards, there could be a business opportunity here for re conditioned ABS Modulators.
I suspect the cost of Liabilty Insurance would soon make it financially non viable.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
SPEN

Post by SPEN »

Eventually all older bikes will be put off the road as they won"t meet modern MOT requirements.You will need electronics to pass emissons test
nug800

Post by nug800 »

They will have to lock me up to stop me riding My DR Big Spen :evil:
Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight »

Yes you would assume so, and you cannot ride older bikes in Belgium, but in this country they are dis continuing the requirement for MOTs on bikes older than I think 1970.
But this is because they have realized that the younger guys that do the MOT do not understand older bikes, the old guys will just know that they are all like this and accept the bike.
You see, if you look at the Service manual for say a 1978 Honda 500 four you are allowed 2 thou play each side in the rear wheel bearings and most guys will fail you for any play in the rear wheel bearings.
Of course you then appeal to the DVLA who have no other option but to accept the bike.
The trouble then is the MOT tester then is suspended for a year.
devon john

Post by devon john »

on my big twin Harley i through all the censers and fuel injection in the bin!!!

converted back to carb the best thing ive done to the bike 75,000mls and just run in!!

john
Steve T

Post by Steve T »

SPEN wrote:Eventually all older bikes will be put off the road as they won"t meet modern MOT requirements.You will need electronics to pass emissons test
Nonsense!

Why?

Because they MOT classic cars that don't meet modern requirements, due to the allowances of the MOT that are vehicle age dependant. The same will apply to motorbikes.

Simples
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride
Paul-S

Post by Paul-S »

Andy A wrote:No such problems on my 1986 600 tenere :)
IMG_0303.JPG
Very tidy that Andy saw it at the BBQ yesterday - did you modify this one yourself?

I was on the Africa Twin

Return to “TECHNICAL”