bike economics ie MPG???

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
phil2378

Re: bike economics ie MPG???

Post by phil2378 »

getting about 220miles to a 25l tank on my varadero which is about 45/46 mpg, thinkin i might have to change for sumthin a bit more economical,

i'd love to be gettin 60/70 mpg
:) :) ;)
GB

Post by GB »

How weird is this thread, until recently I didn't know a single motorcyclist who cared or even knew how many miles their bike did to the gallon, but this thread is now onto three pages :ohmy:
Finally back on a GS :D
africajim

Post by africajim »

Up here in the Highlands of Scotland it's more the distance available rather than the mpg, you need 200+ miles to the tank or you'll spend a lot of time walking! On a Sunday run you can often hit 200 miles between filling stations. All my bikes do 200+ miles to the tank so I'm happy, even with the Crosstourer being around 50mpg, still gives me over 200 miles range.
I think the cost of fuel is also starting to hit home, folk just can't afford two tanks of fuel on a Sunday run coming to £60! That and the price of fish and chips, damn, it'll soon cost £100 for a Sunday out on the bike! Good grief! Ok, maybe time to look for something more frugal! LOL!
But, part of the pleasure of riding a bike is the thrill, the power, this is lost with smaller, less powerful bikes, for example, a mountain bike's pretty damned economical but takes a hell of a pedaling! And not the same thrill, well, not uphill any way!
The Thug, the VFR1200X, is one of the most thrilling bikes I've ever owned and will run it as long as I can afford to!
Honda, the power of dreams.
magnum pi

Post by magnum pi »

i always get between 220 to 240 miles from brim to reseve on my africa twin mostly two up with panniers with a carefull right hand.Its the only thing that puts me off a ktm smt or adv is the mpg a mate had one from new and could only manage 35 mpg on the trip too busack in france a couple of years ago.
dancerdave

Post by dancerdave »

I've just sold a KTM SM-T and I was getting 44mpg. Now I've got a 800GS and I'm getting 64mpg without changing the way I ride.
canazei1200

Post by canazei1200 »

Must be me 2 bmw gs and a k75 always low 40 955i 40-50 depending on how much i ragged it futura best of 40worst of 30 multistrada no idea fuel gauge is useless showi.g half full to empty after 80 milez

1990 k75s ( first brick)
NOT AS FAST ON A BIKE AS I THINK I AM
mountainwhale

Post by mountainwhale »

Average 54mpg on my Africa Twin. Always wanted a Ktm Adventure but the mpg put me off, don't see the point in stupid hp races for big dirt bikes meant for big distances. Mates with them start generally looking around for fuel at 130-140 miles which imo is just ridiculous and a complete and utter pain in big trips. Tarted up my At instead, better reliability, better mpg and better suspension for less than the cost of exchanging. Way down on power but frankly don't really need it as only cruise at 85 max anyway. This is only my particular needs of course, I'd love to be able to stuff in an 800gs engine!
jackdaw

Post by jackdaw »

On my Vara I get 9 miles per litre at best and only 7 miles perr litre 2 up, loaded and in a hurry.
This is becoming an issue. May need to downsize.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

GB wrote:How weird is this thread, until recently I didn't know a single motorcyclist who cared or even knew how many miles their bike did to the gallon, but this thread is now onto three pages :ohmy:
Something to do with the price of fuel? it`s OK if your bike is a sunny day toy and you only do 4,000 miles a year but those of us who do 12,000 a year it cost`s a lot :blink:

Always knew what my mpg was, except when I owned an RD 400 :lol:
My old Suzuki GS 1000e used to average 45ish
herman

Post by herman »

Must admit I have never taken stock of mpg on bikes in the last 30 odd years only miles between fill ups on the trip meter which dictates whether I need to carry extra fuel. Bet my 200 has the worst mpg tho :evil:
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.

Return to “TECHNICAL”