ULTRA SEAL

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Tigerboy

ULTRA SEAL

Post by Tigerboy »

Hi Guy's & Gal's

Anyone using Ultraseal in their tyres, I am considering squirting some into me me tiger tyres (tubless).

opinions please???
davsato

Re: ULTRA SEAL

Post by davsato »

since getting a slowey in my sprintST, ive used ultraseal in every tyre since. rode it to a local bike garage, had it put in, pumped the tyre up and eagle eyed lad in there spotted something, and pulled out what looked like a long safety pin (he looked a lot like eddie the eagle, with those glasses he could spot a nail on the moon!) little pink spurt, puncture done. since then that tyre had at least another five punctures (ultraseal leaves a little pink dot telltale) that i know about, and now on the varadero ive got it in too.

tyre dealers say they dont like it, and its supposed to make it harder to repair a tyre, but why do they sell it then? i wont be without it anymore, makes a repair kit something you can do without IMO (that'll get some comments)
Dave
mark1150

Post by mark1150 »

I've advacated the green slime before, which even worked on tubed tyres.
The only down sides are for the likes of R1's at ahem, a reasonable lick you can suffer ballance problems from the front wheel, and the dealers tend to charge extra for working on tyres with it fitted, a cleaning thing so I believe.
The plus apart from the benifit of no more punctures is that it supposed to give prolonged tyre life by keeping the tyre cooler on the inside.
The end of the road is the start of the fun

A bad day on the bike is still better than a good day at the office

DRZ 400

XR 400 R
Treadtrader

Post by Treadtrader »

The manufacturers of these products make some interesting claims.
The facts are, if it's properley installed it can be very effective in a tubeless fitment, less successful with tubes.
As long as the correct amount, of the right product, is inserted should'nt cause any balance problems, agricultural stuff is for tractors not high speed use.
Regular inspection of the tyre for foreign objects is a must.
All of the good stuff is water soluble so is easily washed out to make a permanent puncture repair.
I've heard people complain of internal rim corrosion but never seen any.

We tyre dealers don't like it when we are handling a tyre and are not informed sealant is installed, makes a mess of me and my equipment.
As it takes longer to repair or replace a tyre with sealant we charge for the extra time taken.
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
Tigerboy

Post by Tigerboy »

Thanks Treadtrader,

Any ideas on what insurance companies feel about this?
mark1150

Post by mark1150 »

Tigerboy wrote:Thanks Treadtrader,

I can't imagine it being classified as a mod.
The end of the road is the start of the fun

A bad day on the bike is still better than a good day at the office

DRZ 400

XR 400 R
Treadtrader

Post by Treadtrader »

Tigerboy wrote:Thanks Treadtrader,

You'd think anything that makes a bike safer would be a good thing.
Only way to find out is ask em. ;)
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

I used it on a turky trip in 2006 no idea if I needed it so I guess it worked well, it did cause a bit of a seed wobble on the FJR over 105MPH but running with it in your tyres keeps the rubber cooler so extending the life of the tyre. But as we didn;t have a puncture (that we coud see) and given the cost of a bottle of this stuff (£26) we now just carry a bottle along with a compressor, and in the likelyhood of a puncture we can fill with Ultra Seal and bring the tyres back up to pressure and ride on. that way if we do not get a puncture we save the money and have the stuff for another day and set of tyres.
Touring France Some Useful Central Massif Touring Routes...

Ride Reports places we have been and things we have seen...
davsato

Post by davsato »

Treadtrader wrote:The manufacturers of these products make some interesting claims.
The facts are, if it's properley installed it can be very effective in a tubeless fitment, less successful with tubes.
As long as the correct amount, of the right product, is inserted should'nt cause any balance problems, agricultural stuff is for tractors not high speed use.
Regular inspection of the tyre for foreign objects is a must.
All of the good stuff is water soluble so is easily washed out to make a permanent puncture repair.
I've heard people complain of internal rim corrosion but never seen any.

We tyre dealers don't like it when we are handling a tyre and are not informed sealant is installed, makes a mess of me and my equipment.
As it takes longer to repair or replace a tyre with sealant we charge for the extra time taken.
i believe slime and goop stay liquid in the tyre so can settle in a lump at the bottom, but ultraseal and punctureseal coat the insides and stays put, ive certainly never felt any wobbles.
my tyre dude appreciates the warning about the possible mess, but because of the above there never has been any. since he sold me the stuff and put it in it would be very unfair if he charged extra! he doesnt though (russ' bike tyres, portsmouth. top bloke, fair deals, treats your bike like his bike)
Dave
redtyke

Post by redtyke »

used a tyre sealant since last year (the one the post office use!) had local agent inject and put a couple of the colour coded pressure caps on.did 7000 on them,abroad on a 5000 mile trip,didn't notice a thing in performance.when your in the 'outback' it gives a kind of mind comfort that a small puncture isn't going to bring about roadside repairs.had new tyres fitted in march,with annual sevice at rainbow.told the mechie about the sludge.no probs.local guy not around now,so i bought and put it in mesen.last visit to cadwell in august,brother got a small punture (found on return to bike)out came the repair kit,but cartridges didn't reflate it enuff.had to get air from riders tent on hand.i'll continue to use it for those little 'bugger!' moments.win for me...tyke

Return to “TECHNICAL”