Rannoch Station XRV meet.

Where you've been and what you done
africajim

Rannoch Station XRV meet.

Post by africajim »

26/09/10 a meeting took place of likeminded adventure bike riders for lunch at Rannoch Station. If you've not ventured up the Tummel valley you really must!

Here's my tuppenceworth,

Fiona and I left home in Elgin at 08.30, 1st stop was Asdas for petrol to fuel up the Mighty Varadero and the ickle Beemer, then off at 08.45 heading up Speyside for Aberlour. We had a few spits of rain while following the Spey but as we passed through Glenlivet and on to Tomintoul up Glen Avon it was dry but damn it was cold! Temperatures were just above freezing as we passed over the Lecht Ski centre! On from Strathdon over the hills to Royal Deeside where the police presence was quite high due to HRH attending Crathie church! We went on to Braemar to see Lowflyer fuelling up! We stopped for coffee and a bacon roll at the Hungry Highlander where we met with Lowflyer, Largewayround and Raymo. (Lowflyer's first words to the woman behind the counter of the Hungry Highlander "I'm a highlander and I'm hungry"!) LMAO!
Breakfast had, we headed off over Glenshee for our meeting at Pitlochry with Boris, Mr & Mrs Ben, Mike999 and Rickskye and Outrunner. Intro's over we headed off for our run across Tummel valley heading for Rannoch Station for a late lunch.
The road from Pitlochry along the lochsides up to Kinlochrannoch is absolutely stunning! Mostly single track and at times right next to the waterline, the sun shining off the water made it spectacular. The weather couldn't have been better with pure clear blue skies, not what you expect in Sept in the Scottish highlands! A photo stop at one of the dams made a nice break before we went to lunch.
Boris said he'd called the tea room earlier in the week to confirm soup on the menu so we were all disappointed to hear the soup was all gone, also burgers! A group of bikers from Aberdeen had been earlier and scoffed the lot! SteveT says it wasn't him but he was lurking in the area, I have photographic evidence!
After lunch, which was quite nice by the way, we headed off back along lochside where we all started to head our own ways back home, at Pitlochry we were down to Fiona, Raymo, LWR and myself to head back up over Glenshee to Braemar where we all had a quick coffee (which we bought, it's a highland thing!) before the long run home over the Lecht. Fiona and myself got home at 8.00p.m, cold and tired but a really enjoyable day was had!
Highlights of the day were as follows, meeting Ray, John and Craig, stars in their own rights and Highlanders them all, where men are men and sheep are scared!
Boris and Mr & Mrs Ben, characters for sure, Mrs Ben (Sarah) I found highly entertaining and a sweet looker too! Special thanks to Largewayround for leading the run from Braemar and back, well done mate, you're a hero,,,, ok,,, the kind you never hear oh! Ha Ha! Thanks Craig!
The scenery was second to none and just what you expect for the Scottish Highlands, Gods country, 300 miles of pure adventure riding.
Finally, to my Fiona, well done girl, you kept up with the big boys no problem and kept me amused with your squeals and hoots caused by corners and sharp rises! That and we didn't even have to bump start your Beemer! Tee hee!
XRV_Rannoch.JPG
XRV_Rannoch.JPG (78.21 KiB) Viewed 2055 times
Honda, the power of dreams.
LargeWayRound

Re:Rannoch Station XRV meet.

Post by LargeWayRound »

What a Day ...

Great weather , Fantastic Roads , Great Company

First Meet point was at Braemar , where Lowflier, Africajim, Fiona , Myself and Raymo , had a quick coffee and then headed up and over Glen Shee .

Awesome ride over to Pitlochry , to meet Rickskye, Boris, Outrunner , 999Mike, Ben and mrs ben.

After some chit chat , we headed off through pitlochry , down the main street , and was confronted by the whole road full of runners, blocking the whole street ..

After I tooted and made my intentions clear that I was coming through.
The policeman gave me a smile as we came out the other side..

Heading West we found the little back road out to Foss . Along the tummel river then tummel loch. Stunning scenery , did not get any photos along here , but could have spent ages stopping at every passing place.

Heading from tummel bridge we took the *main* road (nice) to Kinloch Rannoch then out to Rannoch Dam where we got some photos and had the bikes nicely lined up.

We also got a surprise visit from SteveT , who had been down at the station already, after photo shot , headed for soup at the station . Waving goodbyes to Steve as he headed back .

Arriving at the station to find that someone had eaten all the soup .. but the lorne sandwich was tasty .

After hanging about the station for a while , watching the only train come stop . we all headed back . Boris and co , headed back via aberfeldy .

Rick and John , took the north turn off to the A9 , Mike took the A9 south .
Jim, myself , fiona , ray headed back over Glen Shee to Breamar , stopped off at hungry highlander for a quick coffee (and free cake) ..

Then made our own way back home..

What a day .. really nice to meet up and have a blast

It was great fun leading the pack, looking in my mirror and seeing all the riders behind me .. Glad everyone enjoyed themselves , I certainly did..

oh , And I got a Present from the Lovely Fiona , a pair of Braces for my biking trousers .. Thank you very much ..

:)
appleby

Post by appleby »

Oh Jimbo! That was like reading Razzle in my "secret" place when I was 13!
I first climaxed at the "Lecht's" dizzy heights but came back strongly - only to get caught short again at the mention of the word "Rannoch"

My God, I love God's Country!

I hate you, I hate you, I hate you . . .
Alun

Post by Alun »

Great stuff again from the lads up north, thanks Jim and LWR.

Oh, and appleby, place a cold shower on standby, someone might just post up a ride in the Himalaya :) And we'll have to organise a ride out the Highlands of Warwickshire soon.
africajim

Post by africajim »

Never mind folks, Next season (as snow approaches up here) we'll be posting runs up here on the forum in plenty of time for you to organise time off to make a long weekend of it!
I know we're blessed with the roads and scenery up here and make the best of it constantly.
I'm glad you enjoy the posts as it always feeds ideas to everyone to what's out there and readily available without even leaving mainland UK!
Honda, the power of dreams.
Treadtrader

Post by Treadtrader »

africajim wrote:
I know we're blessed with the roads and scenery up here and make the best of it constantly.
I'm glad you enjoy the posts as it always feeds ideas to everyone to what's out there and readily available without even leaving mainland UK!

Put very well Jim. I'm sure to be back next year. :cheer:
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
Alun

Post by Alun »

africajim wrote:
Never mind folks, Next season (as snow approaches up here) we'll be posting runs up here on the forum in plenty of time for you to organise time off to make a long weekend of it!
Good idea Jim, I'll defo join you on one.
appleby

Post by appleby »

Alun wrote:
Great stuff again from the lads up north, thanks Jim and LWR.

Oh, and appleby, place a cold shower on standby, someone might just post up a ride in the Himalaya :) And we'll have to organise a ride out the Highlands of Warwickshire soon.
I think we need to break out of Wark's Alun! Blast through Worcestershire & into Mid Wales, where we can scale the mighty Long Mind?
Or maybe the Elan Valley, where we can take a leak in Brummagem's water supply?:P

As for the Big country - it's in a class of it's own!
I know all the roads you took and prefer that area to the West Coast.
I usually stop in Ballater for a spot of nose bag & a sit by the Dee.
Not to keen on Pitlochry as it happens, a bit too touristy for me.

They featured Rannoch Station Cafe on Secret Britain a few weeks back - I'm sure you all saw it.

Not been there myself . . . YET?
Treadtrader

Post by Treadtrader »

appleby wrote:

I think we need to break out of Wark's Alun! Blast through Worcestershire & into Mid Wales, where we can scale the mighty Long Mind?
Or maybe the Elan Valley, where we can take a leak in Brummagem's water supply?:P
That's a nice idea. I have "fouled" that reservoir in the past. Happy to do it again. :woohoo:
Contact email [email protected] or pm.

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”