In praise of the humble V-Strom 650 XT - UK adventures

Where you've been and what you done
adventure steele

In praise of the humble V-Strom 650 XT - UK adventures

Post by adventure steele »

Hi everyone hope we are all well at the back end of last year I let my modern Bonnie go when the used bike prices went through the roof ended up getting exactly what I paid back for it to a dealer so when they all calmed down a bit I hunted about for a Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT and found my current 2020 one second hand at a dealer down south. Drove down and rode her back which highlighted an issue with the stock screen so swapped that out for a Puig one.

On Wednesday I had a terrific 600 mile ride from Cheshire up around the borders of Scotland and back found some awesome roads after the ones I wanted to do were shut so ended up wandering around and finding a few little gems, utterly superb some stretches where I didn't see another vehicle for over an hour bliss! Felt crazy busy when I got back on the m60 really realised how hemmed in we are down here!

The petrol prices ouch! Used 50 quid of fuel on 99 ron for 450 miles of the trip which worked out at.

Fuel stop 1 no receipt so ignore that.
From Fuel stop 2 -4 =450 miles.
Fuel stop 2 8.24l @ 1.789l =14.74
Fuel stop 3 12.06l @ 1.789l = 21.58
Fuel stop 4 9.34l @ 1.799l = 16.80
450 miles = 68.19 mpg
Not got a receipt for the first stop unfortunately.

Fuel economy has been a bit of a concern lately as I'm out of work currently so trying to make funds stretch.

Next time Ill try the e10 stuff now I've got a good base line.

Thoughts on the 650 after the ride really superb can't fault it took everything in its stride very smooth n easy to tour on adventure around on tiny lanes, yet when the mood takes a revvy sportsbike engine to.

Never felt like I was missing my 2014 1200gsa or 2017 1000xt.

To be honest I'm still quite curious about the Himmys my entire riding perspective has changed since I've been riding the 1927 Norton 16H which is the most fun I've had on a bike 4.9hp and 252lbs keeps up and passes modern traffic when needs be which is always funny makes me think marques are missing a trick not chasing light weight rather than tech it's crazy to think in 1927 they had cable operated cruise control in the format of a throttle lever rather than twist grip anyways I digress back to the V-strom.

Seat is my only criticism of it after 150- 200 miles (again the 60s Norton seats are bliss in comparison) you start to feel it and maybe a better bash plate to.

Hoping to move to either Scotland or Devon in the summer once the house is advertised so next trip will be up to Fort William in a few weeks to check it out as I've never been past Moffat.

Hope you all enjoy the pictures and my thought's on the bike just waiting for the video to process on youtube then I can share it with you all.

Scott_rider

Re: In praise of the humble V-Strom 650 XT - UK adventures

Post by Scott_rider »

Nice one 8-) . Nice looking bike as well.
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
adventure steele

Thanks Scott, just wish the video would process a bit faster lol good ol youtube.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

The Enfield 350 Classic is even cheaper than the Hym, and (reportedly) really smooth while looking 'old and British'.

Having ridden with a Hym at the weekend, I have to say its virtues as an off-road bike were not readily apparent, so you are not giving up much by not having an 'adventure' Royal Enfield.
adventure steele

Thanks Richard that's really interesting, It's always good to hear objective opinions on bikes I'm certainly going to get my leg over one at some point.

I am surprised at just how much I really settled into the 650XT I actually looked at one back in 2017 but decided to go for the 1000 at the time which I didn't really jell with and it was thirsty.

It'l be interesting to see what dad thinks when I let him have a go he's struggling now on his GSX-R 750 k9 with his back on longer journeys now, he wasn't to mad on the Bonnie I got so thought I'd get the 650XT so he could have a go a well.

I can probably see another one joining it once he does have a go as it's really impressed me wouldn't mind if Suzuki did a more long distance version better seat bigger screen from the get go and maybe more fuel range but then that would probably blunt the superb handling so it's all a game of diminishing returns.

I'm still planning on doing Norway at some point once I've done the house move that's right up the top of the list of things to do.
adventure steele

Ride video and review thoughts on the bike is finally uploaded hope you all enjoy sorry about the low camera angle gonna buy a helmet mount for on the V-Strom :)
NeilM

Post by NeilM »

I have a 2015 VStrom 650 which I bought s/h just a few weeks before the first lockdown.... oh yeah, great timing.

Last year I did my first ever multi day moto camping trip, after over 40 years of motorcycling, it was great.

I live in the SW of England and travelled up to the top of Scotland, around some of the NC500 and then back through the borders, Lake District, Wales to home. I only spent around half an hour on motorways the whole trip. 2000 miles in seven days.

Fuel wise I get around 71 mpg using E5 and 68 to 70 using E10, but at the same time I rarely test the upper limits of the engines rev range and am quite happy to cruise along at 50 to 60 mph on the A roads.

I usually stick to around 250 miles a day, with breaks every couple of hours, as I'm usually starting to get a little uncomfortable by then. My longest day was Dumfries and Galloway back to North Somerset on my last touring day. That was a touch under 400 miles and was enough for me.

I did a loop this week up into Wales, along the Elan Valley to Devils Bridge and then home using a slightly different route.... wonderful.

I rode the Tiger Sport 660 a couple of weeks ago, looking at it as a possible replacement for the VStrom.... it isn't, at least not for me.

I have a GIVI airflow screen which I like a lot. I also have a COSMO bash plate that the previous owner fitted, and one accessory I would really recommend is a fender extender on the front as the front of the engine gets and awful lot of crap thrown at it which makes changing the oil filter even more of a dirty job than it already is.

I did 5,000 miles in day trips and touring on my VStrom last year and have more than that planned for 2022.

Norway is also on my bucket list.
adventure steele

That's awesome Neil thanks for sharing :) that's a good idea on the Fender Extender.
adventure steele

Hi everyone hope we are all well took a ride out to Jodrell Bank last night to pull up and do a full review of my 2020 Suzuki V-Strom 650XT and cover the reasons why I bought it :) for my current Adventure/Overlanding usage and compare it to one of my previous bikes on a few points and discuss briefly why I'm starting to think of lightweight ADV bikes and a whole new approach feel like I'm a bit late to that but you never stop learning! I'll be covering my change in thoughts in the follow up video along with anything anyone wants to know that I've Missed on the VStrom if I've missed anything it's the Start of my V Strom journey but she's already impressing after a 600 mile in a day ride :) as some who follow my adventures with the Nortons will know I hurt an old shoulder/neck injury so couldn't do to much riding last year so was a relief to be able to do the 600 mile day ride pain free.

Through the video you will find the different chapters I covered many different things from my thoughts on what I like about the VStrom 650 XT, what I'd improve and thoughts about other bikes that I'm considering. the Husqvarna 701, Honda CRF 300 Rally etc what I'd like to do next and finally the sound of the VStrom with some onboard I mainly focused for 9 or so of the ten mins on talking about the bike.

Sorry if the editing isn't perfect as I'm doing it on an old mobile :)

I hope you enjoy the video and hopefully I'll have a new mic setup for the next video seemed to come out alot better though with a change of setting if you are using a helmet video with the GoPro Hero 6 what are you using mic wise?
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

i ran a strom from 2007 to 2021 158000 miles .. never touched the vaklves and just ran a k and n filter which was checked and cleaned once ..irudium plugs never looked at for over100k .... total workhorse used daily for over a decade ..and a few long tours in between ..
. i dunped the big bore adv bikes after the dl650 that said the rear shock was xmas cracker quality but easilly fixed if not annoying at the time ,, .... in the real world no one outruns a 650 ...yes they get there 1st but you can blow yourbrains out on the hillbilly gp for 30 miles ..and gain around enough time to order me a coffeee ..or un at 90/100 on themotorway andget endelessly blocked by mr and mrs miggins
at around 7 grand you can picj up a near bew 650 with under a 100 miles up ...and when you think you have a round 7 grand change from a tiger gs or ktm that leaves a lot of scope for a more dedicated off roader ..or two ?
ive racked up for long tours on me strom /t7 /kle 650 /700s and there is nob bother keeping up with the big boys crf 1000s gs es ect in a touring situation ...sure if you really still want to chase m3s at full chat the 650 class is marginal ...i like being the annoying one that racks up ..30 seconds behind the big banger while the headers are still pinging it is i suppose vainty over sanity ..and i hold me hands up ive been there and done that ..i guess im asa t thetsage now where i dont care how fast the guy in front wants to ride as when it comes to the important bits the 150hp bike is governed by the same rule ..the ablity to stop in the distance you can see and a pretty easily accesassable 100mph is enough for most in most situations
all that said i still have a pulse and totally get the adrenilin ruch of a the bigger bangers ..tbo having done most of that shit in different life i have scratched the itch ...gone seekingtyres at 1800 miles ect ect ..
650 class is real world to me cheap frugal capable and on a pace that stikes a great balence between fast touring /range / cost and reliability ..with the aded bonus i guess thatit opts me out of the big dick 120mph straights .....
i think its good to try allsorts of diffent bikes ..i cant think of one ive owned i didnt ike in someway ..but the stroms of this world tick a lot of boxes and free up 1000s for alternitive types of fun
great machine the wee srom was for me probably have another but after 14 years i tried kle which has some advantages as road based tourer i think ..mute point as id rather stick pins in me eys that take either over the localk fell :) on a foot note it is a pity afer all these years they havnt really changed the basic strom quite enogh to meke it other than more of the same ..that said the same is a pretty decent machine indeed
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”