Englandshire & Much Welshness

Where you've been and what you done
Steve T

Englandshire & Much Welshness

Post by Steve T »

At last, a reason to haul ass south. Having been granted a permit to travel over the wedding anniversary, making the most of the chance to do some distance was the order of the week!

Scenic route, as normal, over the Lecht and then Glenshee . . .

Blatting around the central belt, heading for Galloway forest via interesting roads and villages . . .

Pausing along the Queens Way for a brew & nibbles . . .

. . . before finding a quiet place to camp for the night . . .

Next morning, up with the sparrows . . . except there weren’t any, cos there are no houses anywhere near this place, to catch the sunrise

Long, rambling ride into and around the Yorkshire Dales that had me melting in my riding gear – 30 degrees apparently but this little Honda doesn’t have a temperature gauge :roll:

Much appreciated bed for the night thanks to a Guzzi riding pal and his good lady, so well rested, fed & watered, I follow my host south towards Shropshire. Not the 1st to arrive, so a great welcome ensued . . . reprobates at the trough

Run to South Wales the next day on family duties and silly named villages, many un-readable let alone un-pronouncable, encounterd. This one had me scratching my head, wondering why you’d name a place thus!

More reprobates had gathered during my absence, meaning even more falling over water consumed by those thus inclined, leading to a slightly late departure the following day for a local scenic ride through parts on Englandshire and Much Welshness. The pause in the ride was at an old airfield in deepest Englandshire. Really great place to stop if you’ve any inclination to plane spot . . . or you just fancy some ace refreshments and nibbles.

A few more arrivals on return to the camp site . . . there were more bikes and tents around but I couldn’t be arsed to get them into shot ;)

Next day & time to head north with some great company, over some ace roads with amazing views. These were just a mile from the camp site . . .

Another night being looked after by the Guzzi rider and his good lady saw me with just a 330 mile ride home the next day.

Always a favourite spot for a photo when homeward bound, even after a short time away . . .

One Honda NC750X with over 1400 miles added to its odometer. Really capable machine that’s held its own on the motorway sections I covered, kept up with larger capacity machines on the twisty roads of Much Welshness & Shropshire! And only sipped a gallon of dinosaur juice every 82 miles on average.

Whats not to like?

Steve T

8-)
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride
Flintlock

Re: Englandshire & Much Welshness

Post by Flintlock »

Nice one

Thanks for sharing
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

Great pictures Steve, very atmospheric one of Barnard's castle. 8-)

Looks like your second camping site was close to Asterton as I've flown from the Long Mynd a few times. It's "interesting" doing the Port Way, in either direction when the road is a little icy :shock:
Steve T

Post by Steve T »

The castle picture was taken from the seat of the bike whilst I waited for the traffic lights to change :D

The campsite was at Wentnor. We ascened the Mynd from Ashterton. That hill is a lot wider than I thought it was. Fantastic views from the top in every direction :D

Steve T

8-)
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”