Wet Wet Wet

Where you've been and what you done
Steve T

Wet Wet Wet

Post by Steve T »

Being weird (not news too many on here :roll: ) I like to nip out after a good deluge and see how destructive the local rivers have become when fed with around 24 hours of rainfall. So yesterday, once the rain has stopped, out I popped . . .

1st stop is Garmouth, which has the Spey river gouging a path through the countryside right next to it.
There is a house behind that dense stand of trees . . .

This picture was taken in Feb 2019 . . .

Looking down stream towards the Garmouth railway viaduct . . .

Bike parked next to the river further up stream . . .

. . . and just over the bank, the river itself

Finally, well up stream at Craigellachie bridge yesterday and a few years earlier . . .

Steve T

8-)
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride
daveuprite

Re: Wet Wet Wet

Post by daveuprite »

Good pics, Steve. I love a nice 'before and after' shot. If it's flooding like this now, lord knows what's in store by the Spring.
Steve T

Post by Steve T »

Cheers Dave.

We have had it fairly easy up here compared to some areas lately. And even when we do get a REALLY heavy spell of wetness, the drains and rivers usually have the capacity to cope . . . famous last words maybe :shock:

Not sure the area could cope with a years worth of rian in a day thought :shock:

Steve T

8-)
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Cracking pics Mr T :P

Forecast before the w/e looked really poor for the Highlands, saw one that said 140mm in the day...!

Drove back through one extended cloudburst this afternoon in the pickup and pulled over for 10 mins. Hope we don't see another Winter like last time. :cry:
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

Steve T wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:13 pm We have had it fairly easy up here compared to some areas lately. And even when we do get a REALLY heavy spell of wetness, the drains and rivers usually have the capacity to cope . . . famous last words maybe :shock:

Not sure the area could cope with a years worth of rain in a day thought :shock:
I think the area of land that drains into each river is much less in Scotland than, for example, England, so usually our rivers don't flood as often / much as there. Though Storm Frank 5 years ago proved you shouldn't rely on that thinking!
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Oop North John wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:17 am
Steve T wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:13 pm We have had it fairly easy up here compared to some areas lately. And even when we do get a REALLY heavy spell of wetness, the drains and rivers usually have the capacity to cope . . . famous last words maybe :shock:

Not sure the area could cope with a years worth of rain in a day thought :shock:
I think the area of land that drains into each river is much less in Scotland than, for example, England, so usually our rivers don't flood as often / much as there. Though Storm Frank 5 years ago proved you shouldn't rely on that thinking!
Interesting point...

You thinking smaller catchments and closer proximity to the sea anyway?

Certainly something like the Severn is carrying the water off a lot of land by the time it leaves Wales, then of course, it picks up more and more English tributaries as it heads South.
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

SteveR wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:00 pm
Oop North John wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:17 am

Interesting point...

You thinking smaller catchments and closer proximity to the sea anyway?

Certainly something like the Severn is carrying the water off a lot of land by the time it leaves Wales, then of course, it picks up more and more English tributaries as it heads South.
Severn / Ouse / Thames certainly have big catchment areas, especially if you compared to the Clyde / Tay / Spey and I'm sure they'll have must longer distances to the sea, plus more of Scotland is hillier so the gradient of our rivers will be greater. I know we tend to be wetter, so the river system will have been moulded by Mother Nature to accept the extra water.

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”