Longest Day Ride

Where you've been and what you done
crofty

Re: Longest Day Ride

Post by crofty »

Great pictures Steve, think i recognize some Deeside / Glenshee locations ?

you've renewed my interest in the new cb500x. Thinking about it as a downsizing option as i get older. How do you find it ?
HoboBeemer

Post by HoboBeemer »

Steve T wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:56 pm Thanks for the kind words chaps :D

HoboBeemer - there is no legal access to off road riding up here without the landowners permission and thus there is no "starting point" for you to use as a reference for dirt riding. I use an open gate policy, taking the chance of an entertaining, one way discussion with an irrate land owner/estate worker.
I know of only a couple of public roads this far north that are so broken you are really off road riding :roll: , but I'd prefer not to disclose their whereabouts as even local use is leading to the threat of de-listing them from the public road register, leading them to become private land and thus out-of-bounds.

Steve T

8-)
Ok thanks for that, will plan for the worst and hope for the best, as other have said the CB is growing on me....

Regards
Steve T

Post by Steve T »

crofty wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:50 am . . . think i recognize some Deeside / Glenshee locations ?
Cheers Steve. Correct on both location guess's :D
crofty wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:50 am . . . you've renewed my interest in the new cb500x. Thinking about it as a downsizing option as i get older. How do you find it ?
Its lack of up top bulk was one of the reasons for getting the bike. Its an OK machine, but don't expect any pulse racing episodes whilst riding one :roll: as its a rather under-welming in the acceleration department. One rider over on the CB500X forum described it well by stating that you dont really accelerate, you just get a bit quicker :? My 22 year old 600 Transalp has a better feeling of get-up & go.

But for pootling round, taking in the views and smelling the scenery its ideal, IMHO.

Try one, you'll find it more revvy than the NC750.

Steve T

8-)
Last edited by Steve T on Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

I have a 600 transalp, and a Honda CB500 of the same year(1998). I have just fitted a stainless silencer off the later CB500 X (2013) as it happens(requires some welding)--saves weight and is freer flowing than the heavy and rust prone stock black one. On performance I have to say that its the opposite for me--the CB500 picks up its skirts and starts to fly once you hit 7k revs-there is a definite power band---and it will pull hard to 3 figures easily enough. Its low, handles well, and with Brembo brakes stops well. If you want to try a CB500 then look out for a really good old one--even the new ones are coming down in price secondhand and 2.5k will buy you a decent one. I'm going to fit some Ohlins type rear shocks to it soon, but the stock Showas are pretty good. Don't forget that there is a race series for the old CB500s--don't underestimate them.

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”