Snow snow, quick, quick snow!

Where you've been and what you done
Steve T

Snow snow, quick, quick snow!

Post by Steve T »

I was out towards Tomintoul with work during the week and the Cairngorms were white with a decent first winter blanket of snow, so thats where I was headed, seeing as Fridays now belong to me and not the man :mrgreen:
Big Bird & the Alp have both been SORN’d, Big Bird for the winter and the Alp for just a month whilst I give it a little bit of TLC. So now the F8GS gets to come out to play.

Scenic route along the banks of the Spey towards Grantown, then Lecht bound and into the ever lowering clouds. Had planned to brew up around here, but the clouds were kinda wet, so just took a photie and moved on . . .

The low clouds obscured any chance of a scenic snowy scene being captured . . . but even without the clouds I'd have lucked out - all the snow had gone! So off on a tangent I headed :roll: :mrgreen:

Wandered a little way up this track the other month, but today, seeing as I was on a K60 Scout shod bike, I thought I’d venture a bit further up the hill

It went downhill after this point at quite an angle . . .

Didn’t get the kettle on till I got home, some 100+ miles later. Chilly on the pinkies, slippery under the tyres, but still a great way to spend a Friday morning :D

Steve T

8-)
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: Snow snow, quick, quick snow!

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

How are the K60 Scouts on wet tarmac?
Slowboy

Post by Slowboy »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:21 am How are the K60 Scouts on wet tarmac?
I have K60's on my CRF250 Rally and find they are excellent in the wet or dry on Tarmac. They last well to (yes it's a lighter bike) about 6 to 7000 miles on the rear and 12,000 on the front. They only struggle on muddy trails as they fill up, but everywhere else they've been fine.
Small bike traveller

CRF250 Rally
C90
C125 Super Cub
Richard Simpson Mark II

Thanks...

Are they the standard K60s, or the wider 'Scout' version with the unbroken band of tread in the centre?

That's where the 'reported' aquaplaning issue happens.
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

Not the same tyre but I’ve had TKC 70s on a trail bike. They also have a big unbroken Centre Band of Tread. Lethal when braking upright in the wet. I’d never buy banded tyres again.
Richard Simpson Mark II

mechanic wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:56 pm Not the same tyre but I’ve had TKC 70s on a trail bike. They also have a big unbroken Centre Band of Tread. Lethal when braking upright in the wet. I’d never buy banded tyres again.

Hmm...I was afraid of that. I hardly use the back brake on the road...except when it's wet!
Steve T

Post by Steve T »

I've done a few miles on my K60 Scout shod F800GS on wet roads, like yestredays, and they handle fine if you are aware of the conditions and ride accordingly.
I have a lot of faith in them, both on & off road (did Dodd Fell with them fitted in September). Not tried very wet, claggy stuff with them fitted, but as siad, I could see them filling up and not self-cleaning very well on that type of terrain.

Just my tuppence worth.

Steve T

8-)
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”