Where has your Transalp carried you?

Where you've been and what you done
Warthog

Where has your Transalp carried you?

Post by Warthog »

Yes, those who play the overlanding field may have seen this question on another forum but it seems members are not tA fans there, so....

As the title says, if you own a 600 Transalp, where has it take you?

And to make it useful as well as inspirational, what did it do well and where was it lacking?

I can start: I must first say that my TA has not travelled the world. I've travelled through the Baltics, Poland, Germany, France, Czech and Slovakia on 3 separate trips. Given my terrain, I've simply stuck with Givi plastic luggage and a roll-bag and that has served me well. I first got the bike in about 2009 and at that time it needed quite a bit of TLC: new battery, replacement reg/rec unit, chain and sprockets, headrace bearings, a new clutch and I opted for a full swingarm bearing and paint overhaul.

Since that time, it really hasn't missed a beat.

In my experience, it can excel at quietly munching miles/km and if done at a sedate pace, it will do so one very little fuel (4.5-5.0L/100). It handles well and I was able to keep a head of a local Audi RS in the Tatra foot hills, courtesy of its cornering. Straightline power, of course, the TA is a bit asthmatic. Having said that, if you need to cruise at 130kmph, it will do that too.

What about your experiences or those of someone you know?
Last edited by Warthog on Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
qcnr

Re: Where has your Transalp carried you?

Post by qcnr »

Around Norway and europe. But no more I retired it and got a 690 Enduro :D
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

I don't have a TA but I would suggest it's one of the most reliable, robust and fixable bikes to take on proper travelling I currently have the opportunity to buy a 1999 'Anniversary' TA with around 3k miles on it, and it's proving hard to resist!
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

mark vb wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:58 am I don't have a TA but I would suggest it's one of the most reliable, robust and fixable bikes to take on proper travelling. I currently have the opportunity to buy a 1999 'Anniversary' TA with around 3k miles on it, and it's proving hard to resist!
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

I think the problem, particularly in the UK, is that people resent the Alp as it does the "adventure" thing very well--and it dates back to 89?. I personally don't like the styling "upgrades " from 99 on--sort of cheapened it. It was always very popular in Europe and spares are fortunately plentiful. Up until November last year I had a Triumph Tiger 1050 (and I also have two 250 road legal trail bikes). The triumph was written off--not my fault--and I was looking for a replacement. I wanted a lower, lighter and simpler bike that would also take dirt roads. I kept coming back to the Alp and bought one about 4 months ago--a 96 with just 40k--and very tidy--for 1k. It comes with a centre stand, has crash bars--and a decent rear rack (std)--and sensible wheel sizes. I've just done a round trip of about 1000 miles to Scotland in sh1t weather--and it was faultless. It may not be the fastest, but is smooth and comfortable and actually handles better than my 1050 Triumph( which was always vague despite a hyperpro shock etc). I'm getting about 54 mpg in old money. Its quiet and starts on the button, uses no oil etc. Its also adjustable tappets (no shims!)--and with the twin plug head its Swiss watch like. Fuses are on the dash, and there are lots of other nice bits of engineering detail. I have pannier frames fitted for soft luggage, a taller screen, 12v outlet, garmin power and so on. I had to change the levers to span adjustables and have just purchased a secondhand sidestand to alter the height--it leans a bit too much--as I said , spares are plentiful and cheap. I've had all the rear out to check and grease all bearings, the rear shock is surprisingly good, and I put the good handling partly down to a well balanced set up--front to rear, and a surprisingly long SA. Quite simply it was designed, built and finished when Honda were at their peak IMO. If you compare it against any modern offerings of a similar middleweight size its difficult to see any real differences--and there really isn't much out there that compares as a genuine , go anywhere travel bike. On the Scotland trip we did about 20 kms down the side of a lock on a fire/logging road, and despite not being on knobblies it handled very well--after all that is what it was designed for. I also make a carbon/kevlar bashplate for it now.
chrisuk

Post by chrisuk »

2012: Stans and Mongolia
https://advrider.com/f/threads/adventur ... ia.828973/

2013 Mongolia and Siberia
https://advrider.com/f/threads/mongolia ... ay.961578/

There's an infamous video featuring my TA that's on YouTube titled "How To Not Cross A River In Mongolia". This forum software seems not to like videos (got an error message), but if you search for it...

The bike still lives and runs fine today in Bulgaria, where I have a house.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

https://youtu.be/6maYFQEnokk

brilliant Chris--I presume that you had to change the oil as well?--illustrates the force of running water!--you can't beat an Alp.
Warthog

Post by Warthog »

qcnr wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:55 am Around Norway and europe. But no more I retired it and got a 690 Enduro :D
Anything you miss about the TA?
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

It was very reliable, but having only done just over 300km i 2 weeks on my KTM I can't really compare.
Easy to work on, apart from the spark plugs, cost a lot less.
I suppose the seat was more comfortable, but that isn't difficult :lol:
The KTM is more powerful, a lot lighter, better suspension, judging by the current running in fuel
consumption may even get close to the same tank range, but need to add luggage racks and a few bits,
heated grips, different exhaust, etc
It is however slightly unfair to compare a 1997 bike to a 2019 model.
chrisuk

Post by chrisuk »

catcitrus wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:32 pm https://youtu.be/6maYFQEnokk

brilliant Chris--I presume that you had to change the oil as well?--illustrates the force of running water!--you can't beat an Alp.
Hi Chris
Yep! The next morning the oil level was 2cm above max and a lovely white/milky colour... :!:

Following the theory of "If you might not like the answer, don't ask the question", I didn't ask if I was allowed to change the oil in the hotel car-park. Just wheeled the bike around the back, spotted an old 5 litre steel kettle that had already been used for mixing paint, dropped the old sludge, refilled with car oil and ran it for a few minutes, dropped that too, and then added bike oil. Also replace the oil filter with a spare I happened to be carrying.

I learnt what to do after drowning a bike from when I dropped my DRZ in the Corwen Carwash on one of Timpo's MMs many years back :D

Chris

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”